Verizon Media Group
Take Yahoo and AOL, fuse them and you get a media and technology company operating at massive global scale. It takes powerful technology to connect our combined media brands and partners with an audience of 1 billion. Nearly half of Oath's employees are building the code and platforms that help us achieve that. And we're only getting bigger. Whether you're looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process 4 trillion data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business-and the world. Want in? Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, is a values-led company committed to building brands people love. We reach over one billion people around the world with a dynamic house of media and technology brands. A global leader in digital and mobile, Oath is shaping the future of media.
Backend Data Engineer Job Description
A Little About Us
Oath brands comprise some of the premier destinations on the Internet. This means that we rely on massively scalable, widely distributed, highly performant, and efficient software systems. If you want to help solve complex software problems for systems like these, we are looking for you.
Oath's Advertising & Data Systems team works on one of the biggest online advertising data sets in the world. We are responsible for providing fast, clean, and relevant data for Oath's advertising businesses. We are developing next generation technologies to enrich our advertiser and user experience through complex, scalable ad platforms, with ever growing and interesting challenges.
A Lot About You
We're looking for world-class, fun-loving engineers to join our team in Champaign, Illinois where you will have the opportunity to help develop high speed advertising data solutions from data collection to large scale data manipulation to long term data storage and low-latency retrieval, reporting, and analytical systems.
We are looking for software engineers at various experience levels to analyze requirements; investigate optimal software solutions; architect, design, implement and test those solutions; and support our globally deployed data collection and handling software.
You will spend your days doing things like:
* Working through documents and conversations with colleagues to understand product requirements for new features
* Shaping those requirements into design documents and software implementation
* Testing and debugging both your own software and some written by others
* Analyzing and refactoring existing software to enhance its reliability, performance, supportability, and operability
* Playing with your friends in some of our local games and contests, from trivia to table tennis, puzzle building, escape rooms and more.
* Helping your team figure out priorities and processes and what's next
You Must Have
* A solid Computer Science foundation in data structures and algorithms, object oriented programming, and modern software engineering practices from your achievement of obtaining a degree in CS or a similar engineering pursuit.
* The ability to use an object oriented programming language like Java or C++, scripting languages like Python or Perl, and Unix or Linux systems.
* Excellent design, coding, debugging and testing skills
* The expertise to manipulate data through query languages
* Facility with data concepts such as joins, aggregation, projection, and explosion
* The ability to work with large-scale distributed systems
* Solid written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
* Great team-working capabilities in an agile development environment
* Willingness to engage productively with others in the industry through the mechanisms of open source software
* The passion to build great products, work with great people and change the world
If this describes you, then we have a career for you at our place.
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or participate in the application process.
Currently work for Oath? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.