Expanse helps IT operations and security teams discover, manage, and secure all of their global internet assets. Current Expanse customers comprise more than 10 percent of the routable internet and they use the company's platform to monitor for real-time changes to their infrastructure. Using leading-edge collection and analysis technology, Expanse improves organizations' visibility, governance, and IT operations, reducing risk associated with internet-connected assets and enabling a secure digital transformation. Founded in 2012, Expanse is headquartered in San Francisco and is now backed by more than $135M in funding.
Data Science at Expanse has both an R&D and operational component. Operationally, the Data Science team touches all departments at Expanse. You will have close working relationships with Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Product, and CSM -- building tools that see heavy use in these departments. On the R&D side, the Data Science team works to find insight in cybersecurity data sets ranging in size from gigabytes to petabytes. Expanse's global collections architecture yields the best and most detailed global view into the device layer of the public internet data set ever created.
What You'll Do
* Foremost, you will help protect our customers against malicious actors on the Internet
* Build and use tools which parse relevant data from various sources (differing files and formats)
* Explore and characterize our internal data for insights relevant to our customers
* Develop novel techniques, technologies, and ways of understanding the internet: Ideas and techniques that we create and use can be groundbreaking. There is no "cookie cutter" playbook for getting our work done. All of the internet is our playground.
* Build prototypes that generate data insights for customers and help to operationalize them
* This is NOT a role with a hyper-focus on machine learning research or only writing ETLs; it's much more engaging and requires creativity
* You have a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Operations Research, or equivalent hands-on experience
* You have a high level of comfort with Python, SQL, and database operations
* You offer software development and systems experience - having a background building software systems dramatically assists in both understanding detailed technical content present in our diverse datasets, and helps generate new ideas for novel collection and analysis techniques
* You have a background in collaborative research, collaborative code development, or previous data work
* You have a track record of taking initiative and are able to seek and take responsibility, especially in the face of ambiguous projects
* You are able to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
* You ask and try to understand the reasons why
* 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
* 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
* Flexible PTO + 8 company holidays
* Company sponsored parental leave
* 401k Plan
* Opportunities for professional development to attend conferences, classes, and workshops
* $75 every quarter as discretionary team building stipend
* $50 every month in cell phone reimbursement
* $65 every month for your wellness to cover costs of gyms, courses and other activities
* $300, one time, to customize your desk space
* Pre-tax commuter, HSA, & FSA benefits
* Stocked kitchen + catered lunch and dinner
* On-site activities such as Lunch and Learns, Speaker Series, Game Night, and Trivia Night
* Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites
Refer a Friend
* Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email email@example.com to learn more!
Expanse Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.