Why American Express?
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don't make a difference without it.
Don't live life without it.
The American Express Authorizations Platform organization is seeking a highly-motivated Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Director to lead an Engineering team responsible for application performance, availability and reliability. The Authorizations SRE is a continuous engineering discipline that effectively combines software development and systems engineering to build and run scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. This role will ensure that American Express' Authorizations platform has reliability and uptime to meet our customers' needs. We also ensure continuous improvement while keeping an ever-watchful eye on capacity and performance.
The role will drive the DevOps mindset which strives to use software engineering to build and run high availability systems. You will write software to optimize day to day work through better automation, monitoring, alerting, testing and deployment. You will work with Technology partners and product owners to help actively identify areas of opportunity with availability and build a vision for the next generation platform utilizing technology and innovation. In addition you will engage in hands-on design and ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software engineers and architects. You will be responsible for opening up the boundaries in observation & tracing, monitoring, tooling and resolving in our effort to maximize the performance and availability of the platform. You should be familiar with modern SAFe methodologies and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity. Make no mistake - this is an opportunity to work in one of the best Technology teams which help lead best in class customer experience for American Express.
This position will be responsible for:
* Leading Authorization's Continuous Integration Program to strategically look at the entire software delivery chain automating the building, testing, deploying, source management, and monitoring of a platform that delivers over 5,000 changes/year.
* Creating the new modern Authorizations platform Lead to be highly available including CI/CD and implementing a DevOps model.
* Build tools to enable engineers to pre-empt issues in production before they are a problem
* Automate processes and build tooling
* Collaborate with development and Operations to build deployment blueprint
* Implementing a Test Data Management (TDM) framework allowing for fabricated/synthetic data to be utilized across platforms in an end to end test environment.
* Delivering Service Virtualization across testing Credit authorization APIs.
* Manage 24/7 on-call rotation
* Prior experience with at least one application development Version Control System (Rational, Git, Subversion, CVS etc.)
* Working knowledge or experience implementing CI/CD automation tools (e.g., Jenkins, SALT, etc.)
* Knowledge or demonstrated experience in Cloud Technologies, such as Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS, GKE and Kubernetes
* Knowledge or demonstrated experience in Ansible and Terraform
* Experience with virtualization using VMWare ESX, KVM, Xen or Docker
* Proven Knowledge of Security Operations (SecOps) management practices in financial industry
* Experience in implementation and design of TCP/IP networking, including basic switching/routing, LAN/WAN, and encryption
* Experience with monitoring systems like Nagios, Splunk, ELK
* Experience with ingress Layer 7 reverse proxies and Layer 4 Load Balancers and NAT
* Knowledgeable regarding Test Data Management frameworks
* Experienced delivering Unit and Regression test environments
* Experience in Reliability space and tools
* Working knowledge of ServiceNow or similar Enterprise Help Desk and Problem Management tools
* Experience with Supporting Unix/Linux Systems administration, implementation and operations
* Expertise with Workload Automation on Mainframe or Distributed systems, such as load generators, simulators and fault generation
* Working knowledge of Application Development workflow and Agile Methods
* Experience working with Scrum or Kanban-related tools and concepts (e.g., Jira, Rally, Epics, Stories, estimating story points, etc.)
* Experience developing code in Java or Python helpful
* 6-8 years of experience with systems analysis/programming, incorporating design methodology, Infrastructure Operations Support or Engineering (e.g., Network, Server, Application, Database).
* Hands-on experience with a variety of software languages, operating systems, or network protocols.
* 5 years' experience managing team/workgroup activities.
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in related field required.
* Prior experience in DevOps or DevOps-like environment (Practices that emphasize the collaboration and communication of both Software Developers and Operations Engineers).
* Practical application using Agile or other rapid application development methods.
* Self-motivated leader who can effectively collaborate in team and cross-team settings.
* Ability to persuade and influence without direct control.
* Able to prioritize/manage tasks and supporting team involved across multiple work streams.
* Strong analytical, logical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to influence cross-functional teams, business and/or vendor partners, and technology leaders.
* Able to develop/make presentations, facilitate discussions and provide technical demonstrations in 1:1, small group and large group settings.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
About American Express
American Express is a globally integrated payments company.