Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for ensuring our users can find great local businesses quickly and without interruptions. No matter how many times we get searched, scraped, scanned, spammed, pinged, paged or queried we keep calm - and keep the site running smoothly. We care deeply about things like blameless postmortems, efficient incident response, and observability. We work in both the dev and systems worlds, instrumenting key parts of core architecture while supporting developers as they do the same.
We're looking for people with a passion for uptime - people with the tenacity to make meaningful contributions, solve hard problems, and have fun while doing it!
You'll design monitoring and alerting patterns that keep us stable. You'll build autoscaling infrastructure to meet our ever-increasing demand. You'll empower engineers with the tools to safely push code multiple times a day. And you'll play a key role in keeping Yelp fast, stable and growing.
What You Will Do:
* Work closely with engineers developing new features and services.
* Build autoscaling infrastructure to meet demand.
* Help to curate our incident response process.
* Develop custom tools as necessary.
* Document system design and procedures.
* Participate in a light on-call rotation.
We Are Looking For:
* Deep understanding of Linux (we use Ubuntu, but that's not essential).
* Solid grasp of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, Java, etc.
* Proficiency with configuration management tools like puppet, chef, ansible.
* Solid understanding of fundamental networking technologies.
* Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
* Experience with web server configuration, monitoring, trending, network design, high availability.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related degree
* At least one year of full-time working experience (besides internships). If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education - and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include "Playing Well With Others" and "Authenticity."
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.