Fastly helps the world's most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We're building a better Internet. Come join us.
Site Reliability Engineer - Configuration Management
We are looking for accomplished Site Reliability Engineers to join our team who will help extend our world-class infrastructure-as-code platform, provide mentoring and support for users of the platform as well as advance the speed, reliability and security with which changes are applied to Fastly's CDN infrastructure.
What You'll Do
* Develop workflow tooling and automation for Chef cookbook development, testing and deployment
* Enable robust, secure and safe self-service for configuration change releases
* Support and mentor development teams to effectively own their Chef cookbooks, configuration parameters and application secrets
* Aid and assist operational troubleshooting and resolution of infrastructure configuration problems
* Enabling monitoring and business continuity for configuration management infrastructure
What We're Looking For
* A minimum 3+ years of experience as an infrastructure engineer supporting critical operational services at scale
* You have a strong programming background with development and code reviews in Ruby as well as other general purpose languages such as Go, bash, Python, etc
* You bring expertise with large scale development and use of open source infrastructure-as-code capabilities including Chef, Terraform and other frameworks
* Experience with Chef cookbook release workflow across Berksfile environments and Chef server organizations
* Experience with secrets management, Hashicorp Vault and PKI systems
* Experience with Packer VM image, programmatic PXE bare metal OS image ("golden image") and container image development
* Excellent technical and non-technical presentation and interpersonal skills
* You have significant experience working with teams globally distributed across different geographies and timezones
* Ability to travel periodically for engineering off-site engineering gatherings, including international travel
* You are able to work from Fastly's offices in San Francisco, Portland or remotely in the Pacific timezone
* We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
* We love distributed teams. Fastly's home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
* We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
* We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
* We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we're not 'one size fits all'. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We're always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
* Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.