Join our team and experience Workday!
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing. At Workday, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we're serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
In this role, you must think about our customers (both internal and external), delivering quickly on a wide range of daily tasks - from environment provisioning, performance monitoring, environment troubleshooting, ad-hoc walk ups and automation efforts; while creating transparency of work being performed.
This position requires a working knowledge of Linux systems in a Production Environment as you will be part of a team that is directly responsible for writing and maintaining scripts (bash, ruby, python) that support the environment provision process.
You understand moving fast is key for the company and ensuring our Workday Service is available 24/7/365 requires on-call participation, careful maintenance planning of changes, detailed runbooks - documentation, collaboration and team due diligence around the 100's configuration tasks that we perform daily. If the work performed is manually repeated often, you find a way to automate the task. More so, you deliver!
About the team
Once a Workday application is built by our developers it is handed over to the Environments team. This is the team that supports the operations of our applications and services. They manage all environments from production, sandbox, sales, and implementation. This team pushes new code to our existing customers, monitors the health, performance, and reliability of the Workday stack, and in general, "keep the lights on" with 24/7 coverage.
* Yes, you'll do everything from script management, monitoring, patching to code deployments
* Technology brings out the geek in you as you think about all things Environments related including topics like Site Reliability, scalability, performance and ways to automate.
* Should go without saying, you are technical. You have a strong knowledge of Linux systems and servers and are no stranger to networking protocols and your exceptional with release management and environment code deployments.
Some other fun facts...
* 5-7+ years of Environment Operations experience
* MUST have, Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers.
* Experience deploying and operating: Apache Tomcat and HTTPd, MySQL, Cape Clear ESB, Subversion, Java web applications.
* You're no stranger to Linux: SSH and Tunnels are your only means to gain server access. You can debug with the best of 'em using command line basics like "top, sar, tcpdump, iptables dmesg" to name a few.
* Experience with many tool sets: Chef, Puppet, OSSEC, SPLUNK, SOLAS, Bladelogic, Ansible, JIRA, Confluence.
* You have a strong understanding of enterprise level thinking on a few levels; documentation, runbooks, root cause analysis, capacity-trending, bug fixes and scripting and your skills show it.
* You have a secret passion about monitoring. When false positives show up on your radar you quickly address it. Your inner wish list is to "make monitoring great again".
* You can handle multiple tasks, make the right business decisions and solve problems while under pressure, and prioritize and organize effectively.
* Able to work some nights and weekends is required as part of the on-call support and production update rotation.
* You have been a previous Systems Engineer (CentOS, SunOS, Solaris/Linux/DevOps)
* Experience working in a SAS-70 audited environment
Sound like fun? Let's talk!
Workday is a provider of enterprise cloud applications for finance and human resources.