GENERAL SUMMARY: Reporting to the Nurse Director for Practice and Innovation, and in collaboration with the Medical Director, the Simulation Specialist will coordinate the planning and delivery of courses, including scenario design, technical and administrative support for programming at the Shipley Center for Medical Simulation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Serves as simulator operator by programming, testing and running scenarios with faculty instructors
* Assures that the facility and equipment are set up for teaching sessions, including set up of clinical equipment e.g. IV pumps, oxygen tanks, code cart and defibrillator
* Acquires and installs digital audiovisual hardware and software systems to record simulated sessions with subsequent editing and transfer into an archival format for analysis.
* Provides technical support for computer based multimedia systems and their components, including operation of digital cameras, video cameras, audio/video mixer, digital/analog converter, monitors, LCD projectors, and other equipment.
* Supports the use of digital media and web-stream creation for educational and professional distribution, distributes content and archives data, and provides advanced troubleshooting
* Operates different simulator technologies ranging from anatomic models and task- trainers to screen-based simulations to full body patient simulators and virtual reality surgical simulators.
* Maintains proficiency in existing and emerging technologies, including basic theory, design and implementation.
* Participates in technical training as necessary; attends conferences to stay current with simulation technology.
* Establishes relationships amongst technical staff of similar simulations centers to foster professional growth and development.
* Conducts routine equipment maintenance, inventory updates and equipment purchases.
* Installs software and hardware upgrades and maintains functionality of manikin components as directed by manufacturer support.
* Interfaces with the equipment manufacturers regarding equipment troubleshooting and systems problems; maintain record of repairs.
* Evaluates new equipment, and identifies opportunities for technology improvement and integration into healthcare education.
* Participates in simulation scenarios as needed.
* Participates in the training of faculty and other Simulation Center staff in the operational aspects of simulation.
* Communicates in a positive, professional manner with faculty instructors, students and other users of the Simulation Center.
* Creates or recommends innovative ideas to enhance simulation technology.
* Works with course directors and simulation specialists to ensure simulation courses run smoothly.
* Coaches course directors with scenarios development and post simulation debriefing strategies
* Coordinates course registration, administration and evaluation
* Assists the Medial Director with the development of teaching guides, simulation scenarios and curricula.
* Aids in preparation of annual reports and progress reports for Medical Director, Nurse Director for Practice and Innovation and others.
* Assists in teaching faculty development courses.
* Maintains documentation in the learning management system.
* Coordinates student rotations, observation experiences and other short-term programs.
* Orients Simulation Center users to the policies, procedures and learning principles. Assists with other special projects or initiatives as needed.
A. Job Knowledge and Skills:
* Knowledge of computer hardware, software applications, or audio/video equipment relevant to healthcare required
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required.
* Knowledge of patient simulation services, technologies and applications, preferred.
* Ability to express technical information clearly and simply to non-technical persons required.
B. Education: Bachelor's degree in an educational, social science, or healthcare related field required. Specialized training in simulation technology and debriefing required. Master's degree preferred.
C. Experience: 3-5 years' experience in healthcare or related field required
D. Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations (if applicable) :
* Certification in Medical Simulation preferred.
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.