About the role
As a server engineer for Strava Metro, you will build the systems and services that support our web and enterprise applications. In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava's backend systems including services that interact with our geo, activity, and analytics data and others. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructure engineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. You will support short-term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer-term technology initiatives.
You will be joining our Metro product team. This is a dynamic group that includes engineers, product manager, designer and analyst working together to achieve our product goals. We value individual ownership, feedback, initiative, and collaboration.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will:
* Build services that surface new, valuable insights based on historical Strava usage.
* Deliver backend services in large, reliable and scalable distributed systems.
* Learn from experienced distributed systems engineers.
* Care deeply about improving transportation infrastructure
You will be successful here by:
* Demonstrating empathy for city planners and the cyclists their work affects.
* Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross-functional peers to ensure services are properly scoped and implemented.
* Being willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone.
We're excited about you because you have experience with:
* Building services in a production environment (using Ruby, Java, Scala, Go, Python etc). We work in Ruby and Scala.
* Using AWS (or alternative) to manage cloud-based infrastructure.
* Implementing relational or NoSQL databases in Production (MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra).
* Open source distributed systems technologies. We use Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava's core technologies and your role in developing it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
* Strava | Metro describes what Metro does
* The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava's datasets.
Strava is Swedish for "strive," which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We're a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we're searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it's not only about achieving - we're an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we're just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you're ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
Strava is a company that operates an online network that connects the global community of athletes.