Alaska Air Group
WHAT WE'RE ABOUT
We're creating an airline people love. It begins with each Alaska Airlines employee, bringing unique strengths and energy to our work in the air and on the ground. Every day, we go beyond what's expected and reach for the remarkable, together.
The Senior UI Designer, a subject matter expert in User Interface (UI), creates interactive guest experiences ensuring they visually communicate the experience the Product Designer articulated and reinforce clarity, usability, and brand across web, mobile app, kiosk, and other digital mediums. This role collaborates with Product Owners, Product Designers, Scrum Masters, and Developers across AS.com and other guest facing digital touchpoints.
Scope & Complexity
As an individual contributor, this role leads and mentors others in UI design tasks and activities to expected quality standards. This Senior Designer uses motion, iconography, typography, color, and space to help guide our guests through the experience, ensuring our digital properties perform, look, and feel according to guest expectations, create moments of delight, and bring the Alaska Airlines brand to life.
* Develops a clear vision for future design and applies a forward-thinking, strategic mindset in collaborating with fellow Product and UI Designers and Engineers to go from where we are today to the vision state.
* Applies and mentors others in user-centered design best practices, from interaction, usability, and visual design fundamentals, balancing user needs with business goals and technology capabilities.
* Leads the design of UI elements that clearly communicate function, provides a clear path forward for guests, and reinforces the brand across channels and platforms.
* Provides clear direction for engineering teams in implementing states, modes, and conditions.
* As a trusted partner with marketing, brings the brand to life through digital experiences.
* Collaborates with all designers and cross-functional partners in the design language for Alaska's digital solutions by leading the creation, iteration, and development of continuous improvements to digital style guides and pattern libraries.
* Communicates effectively to diverse audiences including e-commerce team members, leadership, other team leaders and company executives.
* Actively leads ideation sessions and design reviews to push the boundaries of our work.
* Mentors and supervises less experienced designers in UI design and campaign design competencies.
* Actively collaborates and participates in product strategy, feature reviews, and sprint rituals in coordination with Developers, Scrum Masters, other Designers, and Product Owners.
* Designs inclusively with consideration for guests of different abilities and in compliance with applicable accessibility requirements.
* Leads the continuous audit of Alaska's digital experiences and recommends leading E-commerce experiences.
* Designs cross-channel solutions in alignment with Marketing that resonate with the guest and are optimized for brand, mobile/responsive, traffic, SEO, awareness, and conversion.
* Works with UX research and analytics to evaluate designs and incorporate findings, applying a test and learn approach.
Job-Specific Experience, Education & Skills
* A minimum of 5 years of post-education employment experience in user interface, interactive, visual, or graphic design experience and delivery in digital mediums.
* A minimum of 2 years of E-commerce or transactional product experience.
* A Bachelor of Arts or Science degree with a focus in graphic design, user experience, interactive design or a related design discipline, or an additional two years of training/experience in lieu of this degree.
* Demonstrated experience elevating a brand's vision and visual language into digital experiences.
* Industry leading portfolio showcasing design skills that demonstrate critical thought process, digital cross-platform experience and how UI design adds business value.
* Advanced Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch skills, with the latest design/production tools and a demonstrated ability evaluating future tools for team productivity.
* Deep experience with lean, agile product delivery, optimization tests, and workflow tracking (e.g., JIRA, VersionOne, etc.).
* Experience leading the creation of (not just using) digital platforms, digital style guides, and UI pattern libraries.
* Deep understanding, proficiency, and ability to supervise design tasks, including guidelines, cross-browser compatibility, accessibility standards, and optimization techniques.
* Leads a culture of design/lean thinking, guest advocacy, accountability, and collaboration through independent contribution and consulting as a subject matter expert.
* Strong conceptual and visual thinker, with a broad toolset for communicating complex ideas.
* Deadline oriented with good organizational skills.
* Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
* Background or experience with animation or motion software (After Effects, etc).
* Experience in rapid prototyping technologies for feedback and iteration including: HTML/CSS, Java Script, InVision, Principle, etc.
* Proficient copywriting skills including UI copy, microcopy and calls-to-action.
* Design, people, or project management experience.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and local laws.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines participate in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA), where required.
Job ID 34809
Location Seattle, WA
FLSA Status Exempt
Full/Part Time Full-Time
About Alaska Air Group
Alaska Air Group is an airline holding company.