At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
As a TPM in the Sensing and Perception in the Uber AI org you will work to ensure that Uber can process device sensor data at scale to deliver a safe, consistent, reliable and magical experience for Uber's partners and customers for every ride and delivery.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
In the Sensing and Perception team you will partner with internal and external stakeholders to minimize the risk in delivering existing projects, identify opportunities for further collaboration with stakeholders and ensure that the engineering team is focused on high-value efforts.
TPM work involves the following:
* Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
* Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
* Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
* Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
* Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
Here are the skills and experiences we're looking for:
* Minimum of 5 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, hardware or systems development environment.
* Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
* Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
* Strong organizational skills to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of highest priority items.
* Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions.
* Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
* Experience with 'Big Data' technologies such as Kafka, Hadoop, and Flink.
Desired but not required:
* Computer Science degree, or related field.
* Experience at a high paced, fast growing tech startup.
* Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
* Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
* Familiarity with GNSS hardware and sensors in mobile devices.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.