At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
The Rider Pricing team is building a unified, foundational tech platform to power both base and surge pricing engines that drive product pricing for millions of rides every week across some 600+ global markets. These systems play a crucial role in executing a base pricing strategy in service of Uber's business objectives and maintaining a healthy, balanced marketplaces with surge pricing. The Rider Pricing systems interface with and inform Upfront Fares (UFP) that are then presented to the rider in the app.
The TPM for this role will wear multiple hats, including but not limited to driving a cohesive vision and roadmap for the foundational layers of the pricing stack and ensuring that the team executes against that roadmap with high velocity. This role is highly cross functional, and this TPM will be equally adept at whiteboarding designs with engineers and data scientists as they would be working with product managers on Rider Pricing and across Marketplace. Through these interactions, they will drive roadmap alignment across Rider Pricing and bring clarity to day to day prioritization and execution of the Rider Pricing team.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
* Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
* Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
* Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
* Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
* Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
Here are the skills and experiences we're looking for:
* Minimum of 3 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
* Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
* Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
* Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
* Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
Desired but not required:
* Computer Science degree, or related field
* Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup
* Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities and billions of trips around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking, bicycles, and self-driving cars, we're in it for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next. Fares is the foundation of our business today, and a centerpiece of how we continue to grow.
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.