About the teamWe are a production operations team that is passionate about building and configuring well-designed, automated systems. These systems eliminate toil and produce effective feedback so that each person in the Zillow.com product development and operations life cycle knows what they need to do to meet their site reliability objectives. We're on a hybrid platform with a mix of people to support that complex environment.
About the role
As a Sr. Systems Engineer on the Production Operations Delivery team, you'll be working to build efficiencies between the Ops and Product teams. You will be functionally aligned with Product teams helping them optimize existing platforms, improve site reliability, and engineer the next generation of the Zillow Group cloud-native services. Close partnerships between the Product developers and infrastructure Operations teams starting during the design phases of new work is key to the success of our 160 million unique users who visit Zillow Group brands' mobile apps and websites each month.
The Zillow Group brands growth plan relies heavily on cloud platforms and partnering with our internal Support teams across ZG. We are looking for an experienced, hardworking and motivated individual who will support our internal partners and highly distributed systems.
This position gives you opportunities to:
* Develop next-gen infrastructure solutions that allow our production services to scale with the business
* Troubleshoot production deployment-related issues and analyze performance and operational metrics against service level objectives
* Work with internal groups (product, engineering, and operations teams) with whom we partner
* Implement end-to-end quality assessment and analytics for various distributed services
* Participate in cross-functional projects and take ownership of individual feature efforts
* Lead in the adoption of Continuous Delivery and automation of platform services
* Implement tools and dashboards for various services and operations in the Infrastructure team
* Document best operational practices and take the lead in evangelizing and implementing them with your partner teams
Who you are
You have hands-on experience with a mixture of Software Development, Systems Administration, and Systems Engineering, and a passion for harnessing data to create virtuous feedback loops to help product teams and operations teams achieve their goals. Maybe you are an Ops person who has adapted to the latest cloud technologies or a developer who owns supporting their production code. It doesn't matter how you got here, but you understand what it takes to build and support resilient services in the cloud.
You are excited about building software systems that make running websites automatic, that accurately measures and alerts on vital signs of product health, and that helps product managers define and realize their service reliability goals to maximize the delight of users.
* 4+ years of software development and/or extensive scripting experience in object-oriented languages like Python, Java, or C#
* 4+ years of Linux systems administration or equivalent experience
* Very comfortable with current cloud native solutions and AWS migration challenges
* Container experience a big plus
* Proven experience working closely with Dev teams and Agile methodologies
* Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
* Comfortable with the requirements of a 24/7 on-call production environment
Get to know usZillow Group houses the largest portfolio of real estate brands on mobile and the web. We are on a mission to rewire the real estate transaction and are building transformational tools and services that make it easier for everyone to find and get into a home they love. We are working to create an on-demand real estate transaction experience for every stage of the home lifecycle -- for buyers, sellers, renters and borrowers - and we're well on our way. No matter what job you're in, you will play a critical role in making this vision a reality for millions of people.
At Zillow Group, we're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don't just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For (#69), Fortune Best Workplaces for Diversity (#38), Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents (#31), Fortune Best Workplaces for Women (#20), Fatherly's Best Workplaces for New Dads (#37), JUST Capital 100 Company (#69), Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Zillow is a company providing an online real estate marketplace for finding and sharing information about homes, real estate, and mortgages.