What you'll be doing...
The person in this position will help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team of software and systems engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance, and security. Qualified systems engineers will have a background in IT, computer systems engineering, or systems engineering.
* Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools.
* Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure.
* Collaborate with software engineering teams on project deliverables - including helping build and maintain development/testing/lab environments.
* Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
* Participate in application performance testing - monitoring for potential bottlenecks and other application issues (CPU, Memory, etc); identify potential solutions, and work with developers/testers to implement those fixes.
* Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on tasks.
* Coordinate and communicate with NOC; provide Tier-2 and Tier-3 level support.
* Contribute to and maintain systems standards/best practices.
What we're looking for...
You'lll need to have...
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Four or more years of relevant work experience.
* Experience with Linux Systems Administration.
Event better if you have...
* College degree in a relevant engineering field or exceptional hands-on system engineering experience.
* Seven or more years of experience in Linux system administration - including testing applying OS patches/upgrades on a regular basis, configuration/addition of new services as necessary.
* Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (Java, Tomcat).
* Experience with monitoring systems.
* Experience with automation software (Vagrant, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.).
* Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, Perl, Python).
* Understanding of IT security practices and ensuring key system controls are in place.
* Working knowledge of Big Data technologies experience such as Hadoop/HBase/SOLR; experience with Cloudera.
* Database administration experience with standard relational databases such as MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres.
* Experience with the administration of one or multiple components of Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.).
* Networking knowledge.
* Eligibility to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
* A background in IT, computer systems engineering, or systems engineering.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.