Micro Focus International
Senior Systems Engineer
Discover the new Micro Focus - now the world's 7th largest pure-play software company. By combining HPE Software and Micro Focus offerings, we have built a brand new company with a stronger, bigger portfolio that delivers customer-centered innovation. We are now uniquely positioned to help enterprise customers solve their most pressing business problems and operate in the Hybrid environment-from mainframe to mobile to cloud.
Our portfolio spans the following areas:
DevOps | IT Operations| Cloud | Security | Info Governance | Big Data, Machine Learning, & Analytics
Take charge of your future and join our dynamic, motivated DevOps team for Digital Safe as we go to market with a best-in-class portfolio that will help shape the world's software landscape. #discoverthenew
About the Role
Micro Focus is seeking an energetic, self-driven, highly motivated Senior Systems Engineer for our Pleasanton, California site. A Senior Systems Engineer in the DevOps team for Digital Safe defines the platform and systems to run the application including operating systems, file system, networks, utilities and databases. They also determine hardware compatibility and define the hardware design for an enterprise SaaS solution hosting hundreds of PB of data.
The role combines investigation, analysis, recommendation, configuration and testing of new platforms as well as serving as an escalation point in support of the existing platform.
The role includes working with the development team on the application to automate delivery of a SaaS application and ensure stability of the platform. A certain degree of creativity and latitude and a positive attitude are required.
* Leads multiple project teams of other Systems Engineers and internal and outsourced development partners responsible for all stages of design and development for complex products and platforms, including solution design, analysis, coding, testing, and integration.
* Manages and expands relationships with internal and outsourced development partners on software systems design and development.
* Reviews and evaluates designs and project activities for compliance with systems design and development guidelines and standards; provides tangible feedback to improve product quality and mitigate failure risk.
* Provides software systems leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities.
* Drives innovation and integration of new technologies into projects and activities in the software systems design organization.
* Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
* Installs and configures operating systems and other software and routinely test installed software for glitch detection and other issues.
Education and Experience Required:
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
* Typically 7-10 years of relevant experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
* Extensive experience with Linux platform design (CENTOS preferred)
* Integrating software systems running on multiple platform types into overall architecture.
* Experience with platform design at scale in a SaaS environment (hardware choice, drive layout, filesystem etc.)
* Experience with virtualization hypervisors and/or containerization (ideally KVM and Docker)
* Extensive experience with multiple software systems design tools and languages (Python, Java preferred)
* Experience in overall architecture of software systems for products and solutions including evaluating different technology options and tuning and scaling Java-based application servers.
* Experience designing and implementing High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions.
* OpenStack experience preferred.
* Experience with Git and CI/CD tools (Jenkins, GitHub, etc) preferred.
* Configuration Management (SaltStack) experience preferred.
* Evaluating forms and processes for software systems testing and methodology, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools.
* Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at senior management levels.
Micro Focus is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship or any other legally protected status
About Micro Focus International
Micro Focus International, an infrastructure software company, develops, sells, and supports software products and solutions to federal, airlines, and healthcare industries.