The Surface Team focuses on building devices that fully express the Windows vision-devices that enable the experiences people want and elicit their excitement. We gain customer loyalty when they trust us to continue making their experience with Surface even better as they use the devices we create.
The Surface post-launch engineering team does just that-we are committed to improving the Surface experience for our customers. Through a variety of listening systems, we measure our customer's greatest needs and work cooperatively across various teams to identify and implement software solutions which are delivered directly to our customers via the Windows Update service. In doing so, we enable Surface users to achieve more.
* A BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field
* A minimum of 5 years of experience in software development in consumer products
* Excellent C design and coding skills
* A minimum of 3 years of experience in real-time embedded systems development, including RTOS experience and hardware bring-up
* Proficient oral and written communications skills
* Collaborates well in a team environment
* Prior experience with 32-bit ARM microcontrollers is preferred.
* Prior experience with UEFI is a plus.
* Development and/or Architectural experience in areas such as system drivers and device drivers is a strong plus.
* Ability to debug across various environments to quickly identify and resolve issues spanning multiple subsystems and organizations.
* Experience with configuration management tools (TFS, Git) and strategies for managing multiple projects.
* Tolerance for ambiguity and ability to make progress in the face of it
* Knowledge of hardware busses such as USB, PCIe, I2C, SPI, or others which may appear in consumer electronics devices.
* Familiarity with electronic device schematics and digital oscilloscope debugging skills are considered a plus.
* Some experience working with factory manufacturing is desired
* Some domestic and international travel may be necessary
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Role & Opportunity:
The Surface post-launch engineering team is seeking a talented embedded firmware engineer to design and implement effective and scalable solutions, which improve product quality and reliability.
This role encompasses developing embedded systems firmware to add new valuable features to existing Surface products. Development activities include integration and configuration management, plus designing and implementing effective solutions, which improve product quality and customer enjoyment.
Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills are required, which includes isolating and remedying defects found in currently shipping products. In turn, these solutions will improve new products in development. As a senior engineer and proactive technical leader, you have an ability to effectively organize and plan your work and deliver results.
This role involves working across different teams and with partners and suppliers. You need to be a team player who works well in a collaborative environment with peers in other development disciplines, organizations, and companies.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.