Sr./Staff Data Scientist
We are seeking a Sr. Data Scientist to join our multidisciplinary Data Science team. This position can be in either our Emeryville (East SF Bay Area) or Seattle offices. We are a diverse group of statisticians, bioinformaticians, mathematicians, biologists, and machine learning experts who use data to improve all aspects of our business -- from strain design and analysis of test results, to process optimization and high-level business strategy. We build and deploy software tools and pipelines to accelerate scientific discovery and deliver on Zymergen's goals.
Our primary projects involve:
* Analytical automation and pipeline construction to support standard processing of high-throughput experimental data (e.g. rejecting outliers and correcting for bias).
* Predictive modeling for recommending genetic edits to improve strain performance.
* Analysis of factory activity to understand sources of error and identify areas for optimization.
* The design and optimization of experiments.
* Deploying software tools to be used by scientists to accelerate scientific discovery.
* Advanced degree or equivalent in statistics, mathematics, computer science or a computationally rich field (e.g. bioinformatics, chemical engineering, physics, etc.).
* 3+ years industry experience, with significant experience in software engineering; specifically building data-driven software end-to-end from initial data analysis to production implementation.
* Advanced programming skills in python, pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib, seaborn and other analytical modules. Strong experience in communicating results through Jupyter Notebooks. Familiarity with R/R Markdown is a plus.
* Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of statistics and machine learning models, and demonstrable experience applying them to messy high throughput, high dimensional data. Experience with time series data is a plus.
* Experience leading cross-functional projects with research scientists, software engineers, and data scientists to execute analyses and incorporate them into a production system.
* Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to work in a collaborative environment, and experience mentoring junior Data Scientists.
Zymergen's Data Science team delivers data and analyses and deploys software tools that enable improved decision making at Zymergen. A key element of our success is our ability to apply the latest in software tools and machine learning techniques to challenges in biology, chemistry and manufacturing. The team plays a critical role in distinguishing our products and systems from those developed by our competitors.
Working at Zymergen offers you exposure to a field that makes a difference in the lives of millions of people: low-cost, scalable chemical manufacturing touches everything from how airplanes are built to the frontiers of life-saving medicines. In addition to working at a fast-growing startup, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you are building a future that was the realm of science fiction just ten years ago.
Previous experience in a Life Sciences company or setting is not essential
Interest in working at one, and learning about genetics and bioinformatics, is.
This position can be out of either our Seattle or San Francisco Bay Area offices.
Individuals seeking employment at Zymergen are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen researches, develops and manufactures microbes.