What we do:
Uptake harnesses the power of underutilized data to empower businesses to make informed decisions. We partner with industry leaders to build a predictive analytics software platform that grows smarter in one industry because of what we learn in another. The result is a powerful platform that identifies problems before they happen, ultimately saving money, time and lives.
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We're flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We're also proud to be one of Chicago's best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including Women@Uptake, Pride@Uptake, Science@Uptake, Parents@Uptake, and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
About the role:
As a Senior Software Engineer at Uptake you'll help build and expand a complex analytics platform that is already changing the way large industrial companies manage their assets. Senior Software Engineers are encouraged to work with, and experiment with, cutting-edge technologies in the fields of distributed systems, data ingestion and mapping, and machine learning, to name a few. We strongly promote innovation and collaboration throughout our engineering team, and are committed to helping Senior Software Engineers find the perfect balance of productivity and personal growth.
As a Senior Software Engineer, your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Create interactive visualization tools and dashboards
* Build a highly scalable framework for ingesting, transforming and enhancing data at web scale
* Develop a web services based platform that can grow with the business
* Establish automated build and deployment pipelines
* Implement machine learning models that enable customers to glean hidden insights about their data
* Run large-sized projects for immediate team
* Create solutions that impact immediate team or the entire department
Nice to have:
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
* 5+ years above average understanding and practical use of programming in a modern programming language
* A passion for DevOps and an appreciation for Continuous Integration/Deployment
* A passion for QA and an understanding that testing is not someone else's responsibility
* Solid object-oriented programming and design skills
* Outstanding programming and problem solving skills
* Strong passion for technology and building great systems
* Excellent communication skills and ability to work using Agile methodologies
* Ability to work quickly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
* Understanding of SQL and noSQL database technologies
* Understanding of structure and usage of RESTful web services
* Above average understanding and practical use of service-oriented (SOA) and event-driven (EDA) architectures
* Above average understanding and practical use of the full Spring Catalog
We value these qualities, but they're not required for this role:
* Masters or Ph.D. in related field
* Above average understanding and practical use of:
* Akka, stream processing technologies and concurrency frameworks
* noSQL solutions: Cassandra, HDFS and/or Elasticsearch
* Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt or equivalent infrastructure provisioning tools
* Docker, Mesos and Marathon
* distributed messaging services, preferably Kafka
* distributed data processors such as Spark, Flink, Kafka Streams, Hadoop
* Angular, React, Redux, Immutable.js, Rx.js, Node.js, vue + vuex or equivalent
* Reactive and/or Functional programming
* Thrift, Avro or protocol buffers
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Uptake is a SaaS platform that develops data-driven solutions and predictive analytics for major industries to optimize performance.