The Database Systems organization delivers world class relational database technologies used across the globe on everything from small devices, desktops and servers to some of the largest Cloud deployments in the world. Our growing portfolio includes both existing large contributors to Microsoft's revenue, as well as important growth engines for Microsoft's future - SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Database for MySQL/PostgreSQL, SQL in Azure VMs, Data Factory and more.
Our services are growing at massive scale with many enterprise customers onboarded on them - from banks to online gaming. With such responsibility, deploying safely, reliably and quickly to millions of SQL Servers without impacting customers' workloads all become more critical.
Typical SQL Server workload does not like interruptions. We are the Deployment Infrastructure Availability team in the Database Systems organization. Our mission is to enable touch-free deployments to millions of SQL servers with minimal impact to user workload. Examples of recent deliverables include hot patching of SQL Server, update scheduling based on workload patterns and batching of deployments (OS + Service Fabric + SQL). Current projects include customer-controlled maintenance, automatic portal maintenance notifications, and scalability improvements across the stack to handle a magnitude larger scale.
We are a small but diverse team of people with various views, backgrounds and beliefs. We foster a friendly and inclusive environment where every individual is valued. We take pride in our outstanding work-health index results and collaborative work culture. As evident from our projects, we work at all layers of the technology stack and have both technically deep and broad challenges; from deep systems code to complex distributed systems. Our customers are both our engineers in the Database Systems organization as well as our internal and external customers - we deliver value to both. We value passion, curiosity and desire to make a lasting impact.
* 3+ years of industry experience designing, developing and shipping high quality scalable software and services
* Solid understanding of distributed systems and commonly used data structures and algorithms, and strong ability to apply them towards solving tough problems
* A BS/MS degree in computer science
Opportunity for you:
* Expand your scope and impact, drive projects end-to-end.
* Work on team that values individual excellence, technical ability, teamwork, honesty and transparency, empowerment and accountability, customer focus, quality, innovation and agility
* Do your very best work and not let process, discipline, roles, rules or organizational boundaries hold you back. We are at a place where high product quality and built-to-last engineering really matter
* Work in a dynamic, diverse and supportive work environment with the backing of an established business
* Work in an understanding work environment that supports work-life balance and diverse working styles
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As an engineer on the team you will help shape the future of how Azure SQL DB is upgraded through working with talented engineers within the Database Systems organization and across Azure. You'll have a chance to lead the development from the front and establish architecture, coding guidelines and quality bar for one or more of our key scenarios/features. We encourage grassroots innovation and you're empowered to come up with your own ideas and drive them from inception to production based on our business priorities.
You should have:
* Experience designing and building scalable, distributed services
* Great analytical skills and learning agility
* Ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver results in dynamic environment
* Capacity and interest to drill deep through software layers
* Strong collaboration and partnership skills
* Sharp customer focus and passion for improving customer experience
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.