At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
As a backend engineer on the Storgate team, you'll develop systems that are the interface between Uber's application developers and the underlying storage systems offered by our Storage Platform team (of which Storage is a part).
This is a unique opportunity to combine a deep knowledge of distributed and database systems with a passion for making developers happier and more productive in working with such systems. You will have a direct impact on how quickly and robustly Uber engineers can build some of our most business-critical applications.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
* Design, implement, test and roll out the next generations of our infrastructure at Uber, meeting high standards of performance, reliability, and usability.
* Collaborate with others, both from Storage Platform and from application engineering teams, to ensure that the infrastructure we're building works seamlessly across storage backends and best serves application engineers.
* Mentor more junior engineers, guiding their work and supporting their professional development.
* Contribute to enhancing the team's technical and organizational culture; serve as a role model to others.
What You'll Need
* Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.).
* 5+ years of relevant engineering experience.
* Experience in at least one of scalable storage and developer tooling.
* Experience with multiple programming languages. We use Go, Java, and Python.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
* Passionate about building systems that are both powerful and easy to use.
Bonus Points If You Have
* Experience in both scalable storage and developer tooling.
* Experience building systems used by a large number (1000s) of engineers, whether internal or external.
About the Team
Uber's Storage team is based in San Francisco and serves as the bridge between Uber's world-class storage infrastructure and our thousands of fast-moving application developers. We build innovative systems and solutions that empower developers to get the most out of storage, seamlessly integrating it with their applications and maximizing their productivity. We are a diverse group of talented people who value creating a welcoming and collaborative environment that enables high technical performance and rapid professional growth. As a member of our team, you will dig into the complex and rewarding world of scalable infrastructure that is at the foundation for all microservices at Uber.
The one constant at Uber is growth, and all of our systems are constantly evolving to meet the needs of our high growth environment. We are proactive about addressing both operational and scalability challenges as we grow. We champion great monitoring, alerting, and test coverage and invest in the right tools to help us do so. The services we build on Uber's infrastructure team are highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant. We are conscious about the tradeoffs we make in building highly scalable architectures. We balance code and architecture quality with good execution speed, supporting the continous growth of Uber.
Engineers on the infrastructure teams work closely with groups like Data Science, Machine Learning, Money, Finance, and Mobile Engineering to address new challenges, co-produce requirements, and improve our operational efficiency. In this role there is a special focus on collaboration with Uber's application engineers, including those working on our core Rides and Eats businesses. We also work closely with other infrastructure teams across Uber to provide a common platform that makes development of services at Uber fast and efficient. Supporting and collaborating with these and other groups within Uber is a key part of scaling our business.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.