Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
As a senior search engineer, you will work on our search engine and API. The search engine and API enables customers to search for a place in the world, whether that's by providing a longitude and latitude pair, or by typing the name of your favorite local restaurant. The problem space is an interesting mix of geospatial data, data analysis, search algorithms, performance, and infrastructure challenges. Search is a critical component to our customers' applications, and a major partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you're trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers' experiences.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented and experienced engineer to help grow the foundation of our search product, as well as serve as a deep technical resource for the team. Your past experience in working on complex software and infrastructure projects will serve to guide and grow the search team, and improve our product.
* Gain full expertise of the search engine and API
* Design, write, integrate, and deploy software to improve the search engine and API
* Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
* Provide technical expertise and mentorship to teammates
* Research and learn geographical context around feature improvements, such as where an airport's entrance is or the order of Japanese house numbers
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
* Autonomy and ability to drive project completion in the face of ambiguity
* Advanced programming experience with one or more of C++, Rust, Node.js
* Excellent full-stack debugging experience and performance profiling
* Previous work with SQL database systems like MySQL or PostgreSQL
* Familiarity with the UNIX command line and common commands
* Depth and breadth of AWS experience is ideal but not required
* Prior experience in search and geospatial programming are a plus
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.