Verizon Media Group
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That's why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We're big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
The Community & Retention team is dedicated to connecting people with whatever they're into. With over 380 million blogs and millions of daily active users, we are exploring innovative ways to connect users and build the strongest, most passionate communities in the world. You will play a key role in building the next iteration of communication on Tumblr. Utilizing highly concurrent, extremely high traffic services you will lead the development of groundbreaking work that will redefine how users communicate on Tumblr.
(New York or San Francisco based)
What you'll do:
* Tackle hard problems that impact content creators and consumers on Tumblr.
* Develop new features that will engage millions of users worldwide
* Build reusable code and libraries for future use
* Collaborate with a cross functional team of engineers, product managers and designers.
* Contribute to product discussions and planning of large engineering tasks.
* Ensure quality of code base by writing tests and doing code reviews
* Recommend modifications to processes and procedures, and contribute to best practices, architecture and implementations
* Solve challenging performance and reliability issues
Who you are:
* Solid intuition on what makes good quality code
* Curiosity, and a willingness to learn and talk about emerging technologies
* Experience with infrastructures at scale
* A motivated individual with a track record of solving hard problems and getting things done
* Expert-level knowledge in PHP, or a willingness to apply previous backend development experience to the PHP world
* Understanding beyond the basic LAMP stack architecture, including proficiency with caching patterns, and a keen awareness of the importance of logging and monitoring.
* Are excited to mentor other specialists.
* Smarts, humility, and equal willingness to learn and teach.
Tools we use:
* PHP 7.0+
* MySQL 5.6
* Memcached and Varnish
* Nginx and PHP-FPM
* Hadoop and Hive
Verizon Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Verizon Media is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please email ApplicantAccommodation@verizonmedia.com or call 408-336-1409. Emails/calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Currently work for Verizon Media? Please apply on our internal career site.
About Verizon Media Group
Verizon Media Group is a diverse house of more than 50 media and technology brands that engages more than a billion people around the world.