At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it's conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
PagerDuty needs to be at our best when our customers are at their worst, when things break. Reliability and availability are part of our DNA. The Pipeline group is at the heart of that mission.
The pipeline group is responsible for enhancing and operating the mission-critical PagerDuty event-to-notification pipeline processing billions of events each year with very high uptime requirements. The Pipeline spans event ingestion, incident lifecycle all the way through to notification delivery. You will be responsible for a number of microservices, making sure that we meet our high service level objectives, while continuing to innovate and adapt our system rapidly for our customers and other internal engineering teams.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
* With 10,000+ global customers and growing, you'll be solving really interesting technical challenges while helping to scale our product to keep up with demand.
* Maintain relentless focus on our high uptime requirements and operational excellence
* Since we are responsible for core mission-critical systems you'll collaborate with lots of interesting people across various teams and functions.
* Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability
* Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring.
* Participate in the team's on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
About You: Skills and Attributes
* You have a track record of stepping up and leading successful engineering projects
* You are capable of leading technical discussions and help drive technical decisions within the team
* You are proactive and have great communication; you are capable of working highly independently with minimal supervision
* You ensure you completely understand a problem before proposing a solution
* You are an engineering generalist, you love learning new skills and technology, and are passionate about solving problems regardless of language or domain.
* You are able to work in areas outside your comfort zone and are actively looking for opportunities for personal growth
* You have experience coaching and mentoring others.
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
Generous parental leave, paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily plus breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub - accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
PagerDuty is a company providing solutions which protect businesses from downtime and system unreliability.