Senior Software Engineer, Navigation
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers' businesses. We get users from point A to point B effectively and on time, whether it's delivering meals, servicing medical equipment, or commuting to work.
Navigation Services include our core routing engine, API services, mobile SDKs, and driver application. Our routing engine is built using C++ for performance and flexibility, with the same core engine powering our server-side APIs as well as our mobile SDK for on-device offline routing. We leverage Node JS and AWS ECS-driven API and data processing services for generating our routing data. Development on our APIs often requires working at multiple levels of the stack: from the native C++ level, to the API and infrastructure level. Members of our Navigation team become deeply familiar with routing data structures and how real-world constructs are represented in map data structures: from GPS traces and location data to metadata for highway exits, one way signs, truck weights and bridge heights.
Our products power experiences and operations for customers like DPD, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart.
Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://blog.mapbox.com/tagged/navigation
What You'll Do
As a Senior Navigation Engineer you will be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our API routing service. You will improve our core routing and guidance engines, be part of our service on-call rotation, improve our infrastructure scalability and reliability, contribute to business and product planning, and raise the bar on engineering quality and team processes to grow our ability to drive significant outcomes for our customers.
You will be asked to own and drive significant initiatives that contribute to the team's goals and you will be asked to stretch beyond your immediate capabilities to own outcomes that impact our business and customers.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* High standards for quality of work, including clearly designed API interfaces, documentation, thorough test coverage, and effective code reviews.
* Mastery of a backend programming language (e.g. Node JS, Python, C++, Go, Ruby) and proficiency in another (may include query languages or DSLs like SQL, Terraform, AWS CloudFormation). Ability and willingness to learn new programming languages to drive successful outcomes for the team.
* Experience operating a backend service at meaningful scale for internal or external customers. Proficiency implementing monitoring and metrics, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and improving a product continually over time.
* Effective communication of timelines, expectations, and both good and bad news to stakeholders. Proficient at evaluating multiple perspectives and crisply articulating strong opinions based on principles and data.
* Demonstrated investment in coaching and stretching peers across all levels, including colleagues at earlier stages in their careers.
* Ownership and independent delivery of outcomes. Ability to develop and execute a plan based on high level direction for feature or product development.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.