The One Engineering System team inside Microsoft's Cloud and AI division is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work with us on the next generation of developer services and tools.
Software developers are the productivity workforce of the future. With the developer tools & services market quickly growing and evolving, we have a unique opportunity to help shape internal engineering practices at Microsoft and the broader industry. Our large-scale distributed services for build and test are at the center of Microsoft developers' workflows and comprise a large part of Microsoft's internal One Engineering System.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to design and code new software and services to be used by tens of thousands of Microsoft's engineers and the broader DevOps market. You will work extensively on building developer services that are loved and relied upon. If you are passionate about software engineering, are excited by constantly learning in an ever-changing environment and market and above all love to focus on customers and building products they love - we want to hear from you!
We believe that being a great team member is as important as being a great technologist. We strive to live in a world where everyone on the team has an equal voice, is empowered to innovate and can make a big impact. While there are many tools in the tool box, we are passionate about Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Culture of Experimentation and Lean Agile as a way of operating.
If you want to be part of shaping the future of software development at Microsoft and the industry and this sounds like the right environment for you - join us!
We try not to have too many formal qualifications, since mindset and demonstrated ability are more important, but previous successful candidates have often had some or all of the following:
* Background in Computer Science equivalent to a B.Sc.
* 5+ years of software development: automation-related experience valued in particular. Scripting languages such as bash, python, and PowerShell, or compiled languages such as C, C# and Go are most relevant but others are acceptable.
* Awareness of, and ability to reason about, modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes generally, microservices, and so on.
* Associated troubleshooting skills, including the ability to follow RPC call-chains across arbitrary network steps. Consequent understanding of monitoring in distributed systems.
* Deep understanding of operating system level concepts such as processes, memory allocation, and the network stack; understanding of how applications are affected by the above, and ability to debug same.
* Experience with working in a team, including co-ordinating large projects, communicating well, and exercising initiative when presented with problems.
Generally speaking, practical experience running large scale online systems is always an advantage.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The scale of our operations is enormous. Microsoft's products and services are overwhelmingly consumed online, and billions of people use them every day. We need people who enjoy analyzing complicated problems, coming up with creative solutions, working in focused teams to build things no-one has thought of before, all in the service of production reliability.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us. We value the input of people who aren't afraid to be learning all the time, who celebrate mistakes because they show the way forward, and those who are happy to continuously improve. We strongly believe that diverse experiences and backgrounds, and an environment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, but the supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services. Not only is it the smart thing, it's the right thing.
We would like to talk to you if you:
* Are interested in distributed systems and working with high scale services.
* Like to work in a fast-moving environment and you aren't afraid to change things to make them better.
* Enjoy new technological challenges and solving hard problems.
* Believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team.
* Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.