The Database Systems organization delivers world class relational database technologies used across the globe on everything from small devices, desktops, servers to some of the largest Cloud deployments in the world. Our growing portfolio includes both existing large contributors to Microsoft's revenue, as well as important growth engines for Microsoft's future - SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Database for MySQL/PostgreSQL, SQL in Azure VMs, Data Factory and more.
Our Services are growing at massive scale with many enterprise customers onboarded on them and hundreds of our engineers contributing changes to them on daily basis. With such responsibility, improving our engineering efficiency, shifting-left quality, shipping payloads on schedule, and deploying safely, reliably and quickly to millions of SQL Servers without impacting the customers workloads all become more and more critical.
We are the Modern Engineering Pipeline team in the Database Systems organization. Our mission is to enable touch-free flow of high-quality payloads from check-in to full production rollout in predictable, reliable, safe and scalable manner. We are a small but diverse team of people with various views, backgrounds and beliefs. We foster a friendly and inclusive environment where every individual is valued, and we take pride in our outstanding work-health index results and collaborative work culture. Our customers are both our engineers in the Database Systems organization as well as our internal and external customers - we deliver key value to both. We value passion, curiosity and desire to make a lasting impact on the field of Engineering Efficiency and deploying high quality payload while maintaining our world-class SLAs.
You should have:
* Experience in engineering leadership and scalable/distributed services
* Great analytical skills and learning agility
* Ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver results in dynamic environment
* Capacity and interest to drill deep through software layers
* Strong collaboration and partnership skills
* Sharp customer focus and passion for improving engineering productivity
* 6+ years of industry experience designing, developing and shipping high quality scalable software and services
* Solid understanding of commonly used data structure and algorithms, and strong ability to apply them towards solving tough problems
* A BS/MS degree in computer science
Opportunity for you:
* Expand your scope and impact, and opportunity to contribute to 1ES
* Work on team that values individual excellence, teamwork, honesty and transparency, empowerment and accountability, customer focus, quality, innovation and agility
* Do your very best work and not let process, discipline, roles, rules or organizational boundaries hold you back. We are at a place where high product quality and built-to-last engineering really matter
* Work in a dynamic, diverse and supportive work environment with the backing of an established business
* Work in an understanding work environment that supports work-life balance and diverse working styles
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As a senior engineer you will shape the future of the modern engineering pipeline through working with other talented engineers within the Database Systems organization and across Azure. You'll lead the development from the front and establish architecture, coding guidelines and quality bar for one or more of our key scenarios/features. Some examples of the wide variety of innovative technology the team has delivered includes but is not limited to: Automated continuous validation of over one million functional tests on every batch of check-ins with break detection, automated failure triangulation and rollbacks. Touch-free deployments, CPU instruction level hot-patching for SQL Server, combining impactful deployments in a single batch, reducing the impact of deployments on our customers' workloads as well as customized maintenance window for key enterprise customers. You're not expected to own or heavily contribute to one or more of them, but you're highly empowered to come up with your own ideas and drive them from inception to production based on our business priorities.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.