The Microsoft Azure cloud footprint is massive and continues to grow at an incredible rate. The Azure Workload Insights (AWI) team is looking for a talented big data engineer to help us get our hands around this explosive growth. The data platform and associated analytic capabilities we develop will provide valuable insight to enable Azure stakeholders to make intelligent capacity-related decisions to improve Availability, Efficiency, and Performance of their workloads running on Azure. As part of Azure Production Infrastructure Engineering, the AWI team focuses on serving the broadest needs of the engineering organization.
The ACI team is new, growing and is looking for talented big data software engineers who can help us powerful new paradigms our customers need to be successful. Our team owns the full-lifecycle of our solutions, including requirements, architecture, design & development, quality, deployment, and operations. As a development organization we value experimentation, pushing the envelope, and aren't afraid to operate in a fail-fast model. We are also developing innovative new capabilities from the ground up that will transform the way customers allocate cloud resources while also giving them improved performance at a lower cost.
As the team's first big data engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, deploying and managing these new services. You will deliver large-scale, high performance production systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business results.
Additionally, you will support the Azure Cloud Collaboration Center (CCC), a first-of-its-kind facility that combines innovation and scale to address operational issues and unexpected events in order to drive new levels of customer responsiveness, security and efficiency. As the CCC grows, so does its potential in helping shape the evolving SRE culture at Microsoft. Your work here will help the CCC Data team provide intelligent data that enables correlation across the many services comprising Azure.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with other senior and principal engineers who are domain experts at Azure to help you deepen your expertise in distributed systems, query engines, open source applications, performance optimization, and operational excellence. You will enjoy competitive compensation and your contributions in this role will impact customers and businesses around the world.
* Minimum Qualifications:
* Extensive background in developing large scale data solutions for batch and real-time solutions
* Experience with building and shipping highly scalable distributed systems on cloud platforms and database technologies (SQL/NoSQL/column-oriented datastores/distributed databases)
* Expertise in object-oriented programming in any of the following languages: Java, C#, Go, Scala, Python
* Active hands on experience with one or more of the following Big Data processing technologies: Hadoop, Spark, Cosmos, NoSQL stores and ETL/ELT orchestration systems
* Active hands on experience with one or more Messaging technologies: Azure EventHub, Apache Kafka, ZeroMQ or similar
* Strong understanding of schema design and SQL development
* Preferred Qualifications:
* Familiar with performance optimization and capacity management methodologies applied at scale
* Experience implementing Microservices and event driven architecture
* Experience with MPP SQL such as Hive or similar
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Strategic thinker combined with strong ability to execute
* Solid verbal and written communication
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Build and maintain highly-scalable ETL pipelines and data-driven systems
* Work closely with business stakeholders, data analysts and machine learning engineers to productionalize analytic solutions
* Design and implement new data pipelines to support business analysts and data scientists
* Design and build infrastructure to support our petabyte-scale data lake
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.