Senior Software Engineer - Security Monitoring
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
"Cybersecurity is like going to the gym, you can't get better by watching others, you've got to go there every day." ~Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft
At Microsoft we believe in the strength of our operational security posture to protect our customer data, supply chain, devices and our intellectual property. If that sounds like an important job to you - you're right - and that's why we need your help!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer who is passionate about security, service reliability and building efficiency into all solutions. You will be part of a diverse team responsible for threat defense engineering in support of the Cyber Defense Operations Center.
Knowledge, experience and skills required:
* 5+ years development and design working on high availability systems
* 2+ year of SIEM engineering experience
* A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
Preferred, not required:
* Translate problem solving techniques into code
* Understanding of data structure and data storage solutions
* Working understanding of operating in an Agile team
* Experience with direct, remote and virtual teams
* Relevant experience in design
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) systems with a security analyst mindset and a coding background. Building automation functions , experience running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry would be beneficial as well.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions
* Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design reviews
* System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging data / telemetry to make decisions.
* Develop "best-in-class" engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are: well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
* Considers testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understands when code is ready to be shared and delivered.
* Exposes test coverage issues, organizes and implements integration tests, and resolves problem areas.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.