Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over thirty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 13 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a FTSE listed company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat's Aviation business unit is the leading provider of satellite communications solutions to airlines, operators and passengers worldwide, keeping people in touch at 35,000 feet in the sky. Inmarsat provides the ultimate inflight connectivity experience for the entire aircraft, from voice and safety communications in the cockpit to high-speed, reliable broadband in the cabin.
Primary role purpose:
Inmarsat Aviation Business Unit is looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to join the team responsible for the analysis, design, development and delivery of our Airline programs. This will include completing the delivery of currently scoped developments as well as future functionality and enhancements to the existing Inmarsat Aviation solutions. This is a wide ranging technical role that will require the successful candidate to play an software development role in activities including design and development, system integration, acceptance testing, service introduction, and handoff to operations. The successful applicant must be self-motivated and be capable of completing complex tasks with minimum supervision and have the confidence and ability to promote improvements and introduce new technologies. The ABU is currently going through significant growth and this role will evolve to reflect the changing business needs. This position requires a minor amount of travel.
* Participate in design, development and delivery of Inmarsat solutions to airlines on time, on budget and to requirements.
* Integrate and deliver the technical and architectural aspects of software based products to ensure consistency, quality and architectural integrity across platforms,
* Hands-on development of key technical components, frameworks, interfaces and services.
* Participate and contribute to design reviews, including review of detailed functional specifications and requirements,
* Create and maintain technical documentation to ensure efficient planning and execution
* Manage and maintain design and engineering documents.
* Work in a small team in an Agile Linux / Open Source development environment
* Work closely with other teams within Service Delivery, to ensure proper detailed, documented handover.
* Analyze, report upon and fix production issues in a timely manner
* Review existing software and infrastructure to identify areas for improvement, added scalability, quality, performance, security maintainability and architectural integrity.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
* Very strong Object-oriented programming development with Groovy/Java or equivalent
* Experience working on a distributed system
* Experience with Spring, SQL, and Linux
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
* University degree level or equivalent experience in Computing Science, Telecommunications or related technical discipline
* 4 years of professional software development experience
* Experience with Vertx
* Strong Python
* Good systems security understanding.
* Excellent organizational skills and communication skills
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat's culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
* Accountability - taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
* Respect - collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
* Excellence - creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do
Inmarsat is a company that provides mobile satellite communications services on land, at sea, and in the air worldwide.