Job Description: Software Engineer
Location: Milton Keynes
Welcome to Transport Systems Catapult
There is a global race to provide better transport solutions. Clean, green, safe, easy to access, convenient, whole-journey solutions are the future. Informed, digitally connected, passengers demand a better service and the country’s economic future depends on us having a much more intelligent approach. The revolution in data science and connectivity, along with UK’s world leading research base as well as our transport industry’s pedigree provides the UK with the opportunity to win this race.
The Transport Systems Catapult (TSC) is a neutral, not-for-profit, Technology and Innovation company full of energetic, capable, technologists and business experts undertaking applied research projects in collaboration with academia, SMEs and Industry with the aim of making UK a world leader in Transport Innovation. Current ‘initiative areas’ include Connected and Autonomous Transport, Mobility-as-a-Service Platforms, Open Transport Data Hub, SME & Scale-Up Partnerships and Academic Alliances. It’s novel, it’s exciting, it’s challenging and it’s a rapidly growing market…… All aboard please!
We work with companies, universities and government using technology and novel commercial models to transform transport. We call this ‘Intelligent Mobility’. Intelligent Mobility is the smarter, greener, safer and more efficient movement of people, goods and information around the world. We work to identify future technology trends so we can make the UK a global leader and create jobs and grow companies. Through identifying new technologies and ways of working, we are making transport better for everyone.
Technical Capability Teams
The Delivery Arm of the Catapult comprises several capability teams organised into technical ‘swim-lanes’. Individuals of similar or aligned skillsets are grouped into teams though able and encouraged to contribute to virtual project teams under a Project Manager. We have telemetrics and connectivity groups, software development and integration groups, systems engineering groups, data scientists, predictive analysis, macro, micro and environmental modelling, immersive visualisation, transport economics, social research & human factors groups……. and we have plans to grow more.
- Be the lead for software development team and projects
- Mentor and coach technologist and graduate technologist software engineers
- ‘Glue’ together systems to integrate 3rd party systems, usually web services, to build fusion engines.
- Establish, manage and maintain quality assurance measures, coding standards and governance for software development.
- Develop long-lived data processing pipes, networks and brokering systems to serve the transport communities.
- Solve technical problems across multiple technologies, developing new methods if required
- Contribute to a diverse range of assignments for both internal and external clients, including bidding for new work
- Own and manage knowledge sharing within the company and across related communities.
- Conveying the requirements of the development team to non-technical staff and senior management.
- Maintain the software development resource schedule
- Assist with business development and bids as required
- Build prototypes and pilots to prove concepts
- Participate in research and development, being thought leaders in our area
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents, complex programs and scripts from agreed specifications using agreed standards and tools
- Contributes to peer review process
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Expert in the principles behind software development and data management
- Good knowledge of quality standards, legislation and best practice
- Working knowledge of API’s
- Strong written and verbal communication to present complex concepts to multi-disciplinary teams
- Information management, relational database design and development (eg Oracle, SQL Server), “NoSQL” database use (eg MongoDB, Cassandra), business intelligence, data mining, statistics
- Proven skills in a strongly-typed language (eg Java, C#, etc)
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience in R&D environment
- Web based and mobile development including HTML5
- Experience of working with AI
- Practical knowledge of agile methods and code reviews
- Degree in Computer Science or other relevant discipline
- Can-do, positive attitude
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Used to working in structured teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong technical skills linked to business acumen
- Courage and conviction to deliver better strategic outcomes
- Highly analytical, with an investigative mindset, and willing to learn new techniques and tools
- Adjusts approach and communication style in tune with the audience
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and able to meet deadlines
- Pension scheme 2:1
- Life assurance 4x base salary
- Private Medical Insurance, for single, couple and family
- Health cashback scheme
- RingGo discounted parking
- 25 days per year, plus bank holidays, plus non-guaranteed 3 or 4 ‘gift days’ over the Christmas period when the office is usually closed
- Rail season ticket loan.