Samsara's cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a software engineer focusing on embedded systems at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on hundreds of thousands of devices, deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You'll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for our linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
Senior Embedded System Engineers at Samsara might work on:
* Designing efficient protocols and implementing efficient hardware management to maximize battery life of a sensor or gateway.
* Developing an unsafe driving detection algorithm based on accelerometer and vehicle data.
* Building a robust processing pipeline for analyzing or streaming real-time video on a on a system with storage, power, and bandwidth constraints.
* Bringing up a new platform: selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in house and beta customer use, shipping release quality products, and iterating based on customer feedback.
An ideal candidate would:
* Have at least 4 years experience building and maintaining production quality enterprise or consumer hardware products.
* Have experience bringing up linux or embedded devices.
* Be excited about sensors (accelerometer, IR, GPS), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN), distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems.
* Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
* Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
Samsara is a company that provides a software-centric solution for sensor models.