Who is Bird
At Bird, we're on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the "last mile" of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we're only just getting started.
At Bird, this team builds tools and libraries to ensure our platform is functional, fully automated, and firing on all cylinders. Additionally, the infrastructure team is responsible for building developer tooling that enables the organization to be fully self-service. Along the way the team provides extensive guidance and instruction in architecture, scaling, application life cycle, and modern cloud design. The team works tirelessly to identify and resolve pain-points in any processes.
* Design, develop and maintain automation software, scripts, and tools
* Analyze and remove bottlenecks in the development workflow for all of Bird Engineering
* Identify and resolve production-level infrastructure-related issues that impact the whole organization (We strive to make sure individual teams are still responsible for their own services)
* Help define best practices for Bird and mentor fellow engineers
* Communicate architectural decisions throughout the Bird Engineering organization via our internal RFC process
* Collaborate across software teams to find and fix pain-points in their experience working with our toolkit
* Debug distributed applications, via analysis of data such as logs, metrics and APM
* Performance profile and tune Linux applicationsHelp manage and be part of an on-call schedule
You'll need extensive experience with:
* Provisioning, deploying, and operating services at scale (We'd love to hear some of your battle stories!)
* AWS and its suite of services, ideally with deep knowledge of EKS
* Experience designing libraries and tooling to facilitate smooth CI/CD pipelines
* Infrastructure provisioning tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
* System configuration management accomplished with Chef, Puppet, SaltStack, Ansible or an equivalent
Excellent understanding of:
* Large scale platform architecture, including common scaling pitfalls and potential tradeoffs
* Troubleshooting production performance issues in Linux systems
* At least one widely adopted database platform (PostgreSQL or Elasticsearch a plus)
* One or more development languages (Excluding Bash) Golang, Kotlin or Python are a plus
* CI/CD pipelines, such as Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis CI, etc.
* Networking fundamentals, with thorough understanding and ability to diagnose issues with concepts like routing tables, protocols, subnets and DNS
Bonus points for:
* Practical experience with Kubernetes and its associated ecosystem of tools
* Experience working with caching layers such as Redis or Memcached
* Managing data platforms at scale using technologies such as Flink, Kafka or Presto
* Experience in multi-region cloud architecture and some of the common problems to consider
* Managing infrastructure with applications that deals with hundreds of thousands of concurrent connections
* Understanding the common (and not-so-common) requirements around mission critical disaster recovery scenarios, as well as having successfully designed and executed a plan for one previously
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives -encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you'd like to work? Sweet. Let's chat.