The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Senior level Software Engineer to significantly contribute in an engineering team environment to advance the state-of-the-art of Military Mission Planning systems around the globe.
Fulfill the role of senior software engineer to advance state of the art Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (Aegis BMD) mission planning tools and prototypes.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
* Provide software engineering development support for Aegis BMD mission planning advanced tools and prototypes.
* Software engineering activities include browser-based graphic user interface design, simulation development, defect tracking, code review, regression testing, benchmarking, and verification against existing design concepts.
* Work as part of a larger Agile software development team to quickly iterate and refine design and implementation
* Collaborate with back-end software engineers to design, develop, debug and document system components consistent with commercial best practices
* Work closely with subject matter experts to ensure designs are useful and desired functionality is achieved
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
* MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
* Knowledge and application of Object-Oriented design principles. Demonstrated success in working in an Agile team environment.
* Experience using Microsoft Office products of PowerPoint and Excel.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
* Familiarity with WGS-84 Globe, Cesium 2D and 3D modeling, Unity, WorldWind, ArcGIS and other browser-based development mapping tools.
* Experience with concurrent programming and runtime optimization techniques.
* Experience with distributed network architectures.
* Proven success working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Working knowledge of the Aegis BMD system.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional travel to sponsor, contractor, and peer organization facilities for meetings and reviews. Possible occasional support of test events involving extended hours, travel aboard ships and travel to field site activities.
Security: Secret clearance required, TS desired.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.