Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is recruiting a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team in Chicago. Our common goal is to build digital products that support the strategy of Allstate Roadside Services, a division within the Allstate brand that provides roadside rescues for our customers.
This team engineers cloud-native software all day, every day, on a full-stack cloud platform, Pivotal Cloud Foundry in an agile, pair-programming environment. Driving quality by leveraging test-driven development with continuous integration & continuous delivery is key to our engineering approach. We value independent thinking and continuously learning technology skills to build digital products that will essentially change safety on the roadways for drivers who need an immediate rescue.
The Role (Cont'd)
We believe in the "you build it, you run it" mantra, which means you'll be involved in all phases, from design to build to deployment to production monitoring and support.
This team is headquartered at our innovation hub in the Merchandise Mart, which provides the latest in modern equipment, healthy work spaces, and engineering tools to accomplish our goals. Don't miss this opportunity to join a team working 40-hours per week in our flagship work space that includes a game room, free breakfast, beverages, and snacks.
* You are passionate about software engineering with an interest quality, maintainable code
* You love the safety of a strong test suite, with experience or a strong interest in test driven development
* You have a clear understanding of cloud services, distributed systems, devops, and CI/CD practices
* You measure success by working software and end user satisfaction
* You have well-developed communications skills, enjoy collaborating, and are open to a pair-programming environment
* You value transparency and openness, and are willing to identify what we're doing wrong and how we can do things better
A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
* Strong understanding of computer science concepts and object oriented design principles
* Verifiable 5+ years of software engineering experience
* Experience with automated unit testing (eg JUnit), especially test driven development
* Experience developing 12-factor microservices & cloud systems at scale is highly desired
* Strong understanding of Java with Spring Boot experience
* Experience working with relational databases, preferably Oracle
* Experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps, using tools such as Jenkins or Concourse CI
* Bonus points if you have experience with any of the following: application performance monitoring tools like Dynatrace/AppDynamics, web development with ReactJS, or native iOS/Android development
Allstate Insurance Company provides insurance services.