Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The on-premises location (Atlas) team enables our customers to run Mapbox APIs on their own private infrastructure. We make it possible to deploy Mapbox anywhere, whether on AWS, Google Cloud, VMware, bare metal servers, or offline laptops. Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies to government agencies to humanitarian organizations.
We work with every engineering team at Mapbox to ensure all our APIs, libraries, SDKs, and data sources work on-premises or offline. The technical challenges we tackle include API services, Docker Compose architecture, container orchestration with Kubernetes, front end UIs, download CLIs, security, identity & access management, and data processing. We actively surface improvements and share what we learn with the other engineering teams at Mapbox.
What You'll Do
* Empathize with our Atlas customers and spearhead new feature development to address their needs.
* Gain full expertise of the Atlas platform and every part of the Mapbox stack, from Mapbox GL JS to Navigation APIs to Enterprise Boundaries datasets and more.
* Experiment with the latest Docker and Kubernetes features to build a secure, reliable, and scalable container-based platform deployable anywhere.
* Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand.
* Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
* Proven ability to design and develop enterprise on-premises software, scalable web services, or distributed cloud-based architecture.
* Strong proficiency in a programming language, testing practices, and thorough documentation.
* Autonomy, proactivity, and ownership around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
* Mentorship-driven approach of sharing your expertise through documentation, written discussion, pair programming, and deep dive presentations.
* Strong interest in the shape of the business, including understanding existing customers and driving future opportunities for expansion.
* A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
* Experience with our tech stack-Node.js, React, SQL, NoSQL, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS (ECS, CloudFormation, Lambda, DynamoDB, and more) is a plus.
* Experience with GIS programming (projections, coordinate reference systems, QGIS, PostGIS, mapping libraries, etc.) is a plus.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.