At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it's conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 10,000 small, midsize and enterprise global customers to gain insight and respond to critical disruptions. PagerDuty is trusted by thousands of users every single day, which is why leading digital businesses turn to us for the metrics and measures that define their operational effectiveness and agility.
We are extending this idea by investing in Analytics. We believe that we can transform the way digital businesses work, using data to measure and improve digital operations, with a direct link to better business outcomes. We are not afraid to use the latest tools & languages to deliver great experiences to our customers across all platforms. We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Analytics team. As a member of the team, you will use your depth and breadth across many technologies to make the Analytics experience the best it can possibly be.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
* We are just starting to build the foundations of a new Analytics offering. You will get a chance to work in all of our Analytics team and broader PagerDuty code bases.
* From day one, you'll be designing, coding, testing and shipping front-end interfaces, APIs, backend applications and microservices that ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable and scalable solutions to our customers. Since we own and operate what we build, you'll collaborate closely with engineers across teams.
* Lead the architecture and implementation of new customer-facing features in the Analytics product offering across web, API, and mobile, in collaboration with product, UX, and other engineering teams.
* Build and develop the core Analytics infrastructure and tooling so other engineering teams can also embed Analytics capabilities easily throughout the PagerDuty product experience.
* Help drive and define standards for data across all of Engineering.
* Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring to other members of the team.
* In partnership with other Analytics engineering team members, own all services the team ships end-to-end.
* Participating in your team's on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
* You have a track record of stepping up and leading successful engineering projects for end users.
* You have a willingness to learn quickly and a mindset to make a difference. You are an effective communicator and work equally well in a team or by yourself. You get stuff done!
* You are empathetic & keep an open mind to others, regardless of seniority.
* You have deep experience with data streaming platforms: Kafka, Storm, Kinesis, or similar.
* You have experience with data visualization tools: D3, Plotly, ChartJS.
* You have experience using SQL stores and RDBMS: MySQL, PostgresQL, AuroraDB.
* An eye for sleek design.
* Experience going on-call for highly available systems.
* Led the architecture & implementation of distributed and highly available systems, and have opinions about what works and what doesn't.
* Development experience working on customer-facing apps with web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, Flask, or similar.
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of 'Code It. Ship It. Own It.' and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full 'stay technical' career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
401K, pre-tax commuter benefits, corporate discounts, cell phone allowance and more!
Generous parental leave, paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily plus breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub - accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
PagerDuty is a company providing solutions which protect businesses from downtime and system unreliability.