About the Position
We are seeking a Software Engineer to research and develop the application layer security functions for WatchGuard's products. You'll also work on creating high-quality WatchGuard Cloud applications and services in an AWS public cloud environment. At WatchGuard, you will be a member of our agile development team where we are developing new products and solutions for our end users. We believe that by leveraging new, and emerging technologies we can enable business outcomes and improve performance. If you are looking for a challenge, like to solve problems, and can get stuff done, then we want to meet you.
* Decomposition of assigned problems as well as design, and implementation of features, consistent with company quality and security practices.
* Documents, socializes, and incorporates input from engineers and UX designers on their designs.
* Work with Product Management, as required, to resolve product requirement questions.
* Estimates size and scope of development tasks to facilitate sprint planning and reliably completes stories in the assigned sprints.
* Creates proper documentation, both in code, Jira tickets, and on Confluence. For example, each story assigned in a sprint should have groomed Jira stories so that developers, product owners, and QA engineers understand the problem being solved.
* Unit tests all deliverables and fully understands how the end customer will use our products.
* Participates in code reviews for themselves and others and ensures all of their personal changes have been appropriately reviewed.
* In sprint retrospectives, may contribute insights for continuous improvement.
* Provides support to QA as necessary to isolate and resolve issues found during testing.
* Partners with Technical Support team to troubleshoot, debug, and resolves escalated issues.
* Collaborates with all WatchGuard functions such as IT Development, Marketing, Product Management, Documentation and Training to make sure we create the best solutions possible for WatchGuard customers.
* Independently manages own time according to commitments and priorities.
* Provides some mentoring and assistance to more junior engineers.
Skills and Qualifications
* Familarity with object-oriented programming
* Familarty with network programming and protocols (IPv4, IPv6, TCP/UDP, Application Protocols)
* Familiarity with application proxy and content security services like AntiVirus, Intrusion Prevention, AntiSpam.
* Familarity with the Linux OS/platform development.
* Familiarity with tools/systems like Jira, Confluence, GitHub, Office suite, Linux
* BS degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline is required
* 1+ years proven software engineering experience with the full software development cycles
* Must have proven experience with object-oriented programming
* Experience with network programming and protocols (IPv4, IPv6, TCP/UDP, Application Protocols) is a plus
* AWS/Azure experience is a plus
Why Work for WatchGuard?
At WatchGuard we create smart security, simply done. We're a leader in building cyber security hardware, wireless, and cloud solutions that protect small and midsize businesses, and distributed enterprises worldwide. Our award-winning network security solutions provide layered, enterprise-grade protection that is easy to deploy and manage. Whether you are an industry veteran, or at the beginning of your career, now is an amazing time to work in the security industry, and there's never been a better time to be at WatchGuard.
We love solving the industry's toughest challenges, and our innovation keeps our customers ahead of increasingly sophisticated hackers, which has fueled record revenues. We're heavily reinvesting in the company and driving rapid acceleration across all aspects of our business. As a result, our employee base has nearly doubled in the last three years, organically and through acquisition.
Our company culture places intense focus on our customers and employees. From the newest employee to our CEO, you'll find that each person at WatchGuard embodies our core values: accountability, passion for success, community building, and maintaining a customer focus in all things.
WatchGuard Technologies is privately backed by equity firms Vector Capital and Francisco Partners, and has headquarters in Seattle, Washington, with offices throughout North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
WatchGuard participates in E-Verify.
WatchGuard provides unified threat management solutions that combine firewall, virtual private networks and security services.