Akamai Systems Communications (Syscomm) Metadata group is searching for a talented Senior Software Development Engineer in Test to lead the overall Quality effort for its metadata group. This role will have a direct influence on the performance and quality of the "Akamai for DevOps" initiative. A successful engineer in this role will be responsible for working closely with the development team to perform tight cycle feature validations during early stages of software development. The role will require understanding the overall technical architecture and be a vocal proponent for quality in every phase of the development process.
The role is responsible for qualifying all aspects of existing/new features including compatibility, scalability, high availability and stress testing. You will also help create and maintain test analysis & simulation tools which support analysis of the metadata systems and DevOps APIs. You will be responsible for automating regression tests to ensure both quality and performance are maintained from release to release.
* Review software functionalities against applicable requirements
Lead discussions with various stakeholders and cross functional teams to understand the feature requirements and/or overcome integration issues, if any
* Conduct feasibility study on automation coverage, test types and levels of tests
*Design and develop targeted automation/regression tests for cutting-edge features
* Troubleshoot complex scalability/availability issues for the highly distributed messaging system (one of the largest of its type in the world)
* Monitor the team's quality efforts for each feature/release cycle and make proposals for corrections in team structure and test coverage on a need basis.
*Moderate script reviews with the team and baseline interim test scripts
Handle organizational reporting on the project quality and appraise leadership on the progress, issues and risks.
About the Team
The Metadata Team is a part of the Akamai's Systems Communications group (Syscomm), a cross-functional engineering team that develops the distributed systems and services that underpin Akamai's global network. The Metadata Team's systems support fast and reliable configuration of the company's global network, as well as control services for global content management. This team is responsible for quality as well as operational support for tools and services which are integral to "Akamai for DevOps" initiative of Akamai. As part of this elite team, you will have an opportunity to leverage your distributed systems, network diagnostics and analytical skills to characterize performance, reliability and capacity of the system.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
* 5 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or its equivalent or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree in Computer Science or its equivalent
* 4+ years of experience developing or testing network software applications.
* 4+ years of experience with Linux/Unix administration
* 4+ years of experience developing automation in one or more of the following languages: Python, Shell and/or TCL
* Demonstrated ability to operate in a dynamic and ad hoc environment
* Strong attention to detail and excellent problem solving and analytical skills
Experience with principles of software development and release process
* Experience with testing very large scale, distributed systems
* Experience monitoring and optimizing complex distributed systems
General knowledge of the following categories of network systems: Multiprocessing, Threading, Distributed systems, Load *Balancing and High Availability
* Experience in one or more of the following areas: QA Engineer, Software Release Lead, System Administrator, Software Analyst
* Familiarity with SQL, Perl, Python, Shell and/or TCL
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.