Minecraft is one of the most popular video games of all time, with more than 176 million copies sold. Minecraft inspires players to create together, resulting in one of the most passionate gamer communities in the world. We are looking for an ambitious, data-driven individual with a passion for achieving high impact, high quality results to lead the vision, direction and execution of one of the most popular gaming sites in the world - Minecraft.net, the franchise's official website.
As the Technical Director for Minecraft.net you will serve as the senior most engineering leader of the Minecraft web properties. You will be responsible for delivering online experiences that drive engagement growth, complement our games, and delight Minecraft's community. This role requires strong technical leadership, an ability to direct and mentor engineering teams, and the ability to deliver projects and collaborate closely with global, cross-functional teams.
Some key qualities that we are looking for: you are a highly competent engineer that isn't afraid to be hands-on. You're results-oriented and have a track record of managing high-performing engineering teams to deliver quality code. You have the intellect and horsepower to solve ambiguous problems. You have a CTO mindset, and do what it takes to make your team and stakeholders successful; you are player obsessed and you passionately communicate your vision.
* 10+ years of engineering experience with a track record of delivering on-time and at quality.
* Minimum 5 years of experience as an engineer building and managing websites (or relevant 'live' products) including deep knowledge of ecommerce, web design, user experience, tooling, experimentation, optimization and SEO.
* Experience managing remote and/or distributed development teams.
* Experience with Azure services and tools.
* Strong analytical and data-driven decision-making skill.
* Assessing and prescribing tools and processes for automating quality assurance.
* Experience with Adobe Experience Manager (Content Management System) a strong plus.
* Experience creating web properties that are accessible, localized, compliant with the law.
* Experience with SDLC methodologies such as: Waterfall, SCRUM, or other agile methodologies is preferred.
* Strong ability to measure and monitor performance and impact through web analytics.
* A growth mind-set and ability to collaborate with stakeholders is a must.
* Familiar with Minecraft and ideally an understanding of the Minecraft community.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, systems engineering or a related field.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Deliver the engineering vision for Minecraft.net: Partner with game, community, and business teams to set a short and long-term engineering vision for Minecraft.net that aligns to franchise objectives.
* Engineering Excellence: Guide distributed engineering teams to architect scalable and secure web infrastructure to deliver amazing web experiences. Be the owner of that infrastructure that is performant and highly available.
* Platform Management: Partner with key engineering teams across Microsoft to ensure optimal technical decisions and investments are made into the web platform to maintain and scale performance of Minecraft.net.
* Product Development and Delivery: Partnering with PM, translate player/visitor needs and business goals into end-to-end feature plans (Schedules, milestones, goals, backlogs, functional specs, team management) and deliver against the vision for the web.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.