Artificial Intelligence is transforming the world in almost every industry. Only good training data can produce the best machine learning solutions. The AI world is starving for great training-data, however, creating training-data with high quality in a scalable way is very challenging and very few companies do it well. Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality training datasets for machine learning. We bring over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data-types including speech, audio, text, image and video.
The Appen Tech team solves AI data problems by combining the power of humans and technology. This team is responsible for building Appen's data lake and data products. It is an exciting opportunity to make your own mark in the AI data industry!
Our team is located in the Bay Area, but you will have the opportunity of working with other Appen team-members located in our Shanghai and Sydney offices. If you are looking to make a huge impact to the AI world and rise with a leading data company that has a start-up culture as we continue to grow, Appen is the place for you.
* Build Appen's client facing tools, including self-serving APIs, dashboards and reports.
* Create prototypes, MVP and production software.
* Technical input for new and existing product initiatives, assist with definition of product direction.
* Define, design, troubleshoot, and debug complex, multi-tier distributed software applications.
* Work with managers, engineers, product management and the Operations team to design and implement application features.
* Estimate engineering effort, plan execution cycles, and rollout system changes.
* Support product in a production environment on AWS
* BS in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
* 5+ years' work experience in the software development area with at least 3+ years of Ruby experience.
* Strong technical acumen with big data platform (relational, non-relational, batch, real time).
* Experience with Ruby, JS, SQL, HTML/CSS, Rest, AWS, SOA.
* Full stack engineer who can also work on frontend development as well as web services.
* Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
* Excellent problem-solving skills.
* Proven results-oriented professional with a delivery focus in a high velocity, high quality environment.
* Strong communication skills in oral and written English.
* A love for creating awesome user experiences
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.