Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
Senior Restaurant DevOps Engineer
Based on our Denver, CO based Home Office, the Senior Restaurant DevOps Engineer position will design, implement and maintain the restaurant CI/CD framework environment of monitoring, automation, orchestration, deployment and configuration management. The role will lead the engineering and administration of cloud systems that support all restaurant systems. The optimization of systems configuration, monitoring, and performance will also be required. This role will provide technical leadership, oversight, standardization, and validation of systems and application architecture. The individual will also ensure management receives data necessary to make strategic and tactical decisions.
The Senior Restaurant DevOps Engineer role will build a DevOps framework from the ground up to support scalable infrastructure, automate the deployment of software, monitor systems and applications, and perform configuration compliance checks and alerting. The role needs to be skilled in DevOps and CI/CD technology and tools, as well as methodology, with the ability to champion that mythology to internal teams. The role must also be skilled with cloud providers, infrastructures and applications.
The main emphasis of the role will be a technical leader and influencer in the realm of automation and orchestration in the restaurant technology group. To introduce and solidify DevOps as a way to successfully deploy, maintain and support restaurant systems. To build and support all systems and applications needed to support these efforts. The role will design and implement resilient systems solutions run in the cloud that support all remote locations within the organization potentially including Franchise management.
The role is very collaborative and will require continuous interaction within multiple areas within the IT department, as well as internal and external stakeholders as it relates to config, testing, implementation an overall stakeholder satisfaction.
* Responsible for the design, customization, and implementation of robust, secure, scalable systems across n-tier platforms.
* Set the product direction and be responsible for evaluating and incorporating emerging standards and new technologies.
* Act as subject matter expert during the deployment of new and existing initiatives/systems. Includes enhancements, upgrades, updates, and patches if applicable included in environment.
* Perform all phases of engineering, including: requirements analysis, application configuration, integration, development, testing and maintenance to support multiple platforms. Design and implement configuration management and automation through orchestration.
* Provide efficiencies by working with various groups to identify and automate manual tasks. Ensure finished product meets requirements and streamlines processes.
* Work collaboratively to establish roadmaps, determine new features and capabilities, while aligning with adopted best practice frameworks such as ITIL. Ensure that the user interface to these applications are intuitive and easy to use.
* Design, manage, and maintain tools to automate engineering operations. Own and drive initiatives spanning multiple teams using these tools.
* Design, build, implement, and support CI/CD framework.
* Build highly scalable and available distributed systems on cloud-based platforms.
* Build monitoring, supervision, and resiliency mechanisms to observe, react to, and maintain platform health and performance.
* Perform deployments, upgrades, configurations in a controlled, pre-production, and production environment with strict operating perimeters.
* Develop and support processes to maintain uptime, SLAs, security, and availability of critical platform components.
* Oversee all aspects of infrastructure integration including configuration of new and existing systems on multiple platforms, security, operating system administration, software installation, and maintenance and upgrades.
* Seek out and implement new technologies to continually simplify the environment while improving security and performance.
* Review software update release notes, ensure compatibility, communicate feature changes to employees, and validate updates to the system.
* Works closely with IT Helpdesk and Restaurant Support to ensure appropriate project documentation is available in the Transition/Run book for each new initiative or enhancement release. This also applies for changed/modified functionality on a new product or service.
* Support, resolve and document issues that arise in the architecture. This may include reviewing designs and recommending improvements to the architecture.
* Work across IT teams to ensure the environment is fully utilizing available technology to enhance productivity and improve work processes.
* Coordinate with appropriate Red Robin personal to evaluate system capabilities and translate operational requirements into system configuration development.
* Continuous education and market knowledge development to understand new trends within existing solutions as well as new initiatives as it relates to existing systems.
* Adhere to organizational ITIL and ITSM standards
* Complete projects thoroughly and according to project plans
* Submit detailed records in a timely manner (time sheets, tickets, reports, etc).
* Attend and participate in regularly scheduled team meetings
* Available for on-call and emergency response as needed
* Identify and escalate business and technical opportunities as appropriate
* Maintain a high level of professionalism with business stakeholders, vendors and staff.
* Perform all responsibilities in alignment with the core values of Red Robin
* Other duties as assigned
* Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Computer Science (preferred)
* Associate's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience required
* 7+ years of experience with administering, monitoring and securing Windows-based systems.
* 3+ years of experience with administering, monitoring, and securing Linux-based systems
* 3+ years of experience with operations and DevOps on AWS (EC2, S3, IAM, RDS, ELB, CloudFront, CloudFormation, etc.)
* 2+ years' experience managing cloud-based solutions in Azure, including architecting, implementing and supporting Microsoft Azure infrastructure and topologies.
* Expert experience with automation/configuration management (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.)
* Experience with DevOps tools such as well as helping companies roll out sound DevOps processes and practices is critical.
* Familiarity with Docker/Kubernetes and other container orchestration tools
* Advanced knowledge of utility scripting languages (e.g., Bash, Python, etc.)
* Expert knowledge with both Linux and Windows system administration
* Experience with containers and container orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos)
* Experience with software development practices - Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Agile/SCRUM, and Source Code Management (GIT) e.g. Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Shell Scripting in Windows environments
* Expert knowledge in automating tasks using PowerShell
* Strong experience with log aggregation and analysis (ELK, SumoLogic, Splunk, etc.)
* Strong experience with monitoring tools (Nagios, Sensu, Solarwinds, CloudWatch, etc.)
* Experience in ITIL a plus
* The role requires both broad and deep technology knowledge and the ability to provide solutions to a customer's technical business problem.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to work independently and in a team environment managing a range of situations involving business stakeholders, vendor partners and technical resources
* Ability to approach projects and stakeholders in an empathetic manner to understand the needs and the best approach of how to accomplish the intended results in a collaborative way. Fosters communication among all involved with the product/system being developed.
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent customer service skills
* Good interpersonal communication skills to work with the business on requirements
* Good analytical and troubleshooting skills as it relates to the interoperability of new and existing solutions
* Basic PC and Windows experience
* Inherent curiosity to troubleshoot effectively
Red Robin is an Equal Opportunity & E-Verify Employer
About Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews is a chain of casual dining restaurants.