Datacenter Advanced Development leads technology innovation for CO+I and is based in Redmond, Washington. We are seeking a passionate and driven cryogenics engineer or scientist to lead innovation programs and projects for the advanced development of large-scale quantum computing data center infrastructure.
Come join us as a Senior Engineer and be part of a team that is defining the next-generation of computing infrastructure. You will work closely with our quantum computing teams and act as a content expert in the large scale cryo-system development and efficiency engineering necessary to deliver capability at scale to Microsoft's growing customer base.
The job will require about 10% travel. The ideal candidate will have experience with the operation of large scale cryogenic systems, be familiar with thermal engineering principles, have strong communication skills, and be capable of developing business cases in support of technical innovation development.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
* Advanced degree in a related engineering field with equivalent business certifications or work experience.
* Technical background with relevant cryogenic technologies, including both liquid nitrogen and liquid helium.
* 2+ years of work in an engineering environment
Preferred, not required:
* Experience with helium dilution refrigeration.
* Experience working with customers on product requirements
* Experience working in data center environment.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
* Development of large scale cryogenic systems.
* Conceptual design and engineering analysis of key performance metrics.
* Development of efficiency metrics. Driving world-class performance.
* Develop and design cryogenic infrastructure including piping, safety systems, and refrigeration.
* Participate in Technology strategy development.
* Business case development and total cost of ownership modeling
* Lead supplier engagement on critical infrastructure development.
* Driving alignment to a common roadmap with infrastructure engineering strategies
* Knowledge transfer and solutions socialization with partners across multiple business groups at technical and executive levels.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.