At Red Hat, we connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing solutions. We offer cloud, Linux, middleware, storage, and virtualization technologies, together with award-winning global customer support, consulting, and implementation services. Red Hat is a rapidly growing company supporting more than 90% of Fortune 500 companies.
The Red Hat Quality Engineering (QE) team is looking for a Senior Quality Engineer to join us in Westford, MA. In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the way kernel and Real Time Kernel works. You'll gain a deep understanding of a variety of technologies, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and the kernel. You'll make sure that our solutions fulfill the highest possible enterprise quality, performance, usability, and supportability criteria. As a Senior Quality Engineer, you will serve as the last instance before applications are released to the public. You'll create and carry out test plans, research new features, and develop automated tests. You'll need to have the ability to think creatively and adapt to rapid change, as well as the willingness to learn new things.
Primary job responsibilities
* Work with the complete Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) solutions portfolio and be responsible for the delivery of Real Time Kernel
* Create and review test plans and suggest improvements for product planning processes
* Develop new automated and manual tests; develop frameworks to ease test development and automation to speed up implementation
* Take responsibility for Real Time Kernel and supervise its successful testing in a timely manner
* Analyze and prioritize quality risks and identify tests required to mitigate them
* Monitor the automatic execution of the existing test scripts and debug failures in the test cases
* Document and maintain test specifications and test reports
* Help the team lead delegate and support the team while working on the kernel Z-stream release; serve as a temporary team lead in times of need
* Mentor more junior team members
* Contribute bug fixes to upstream and provide demos of the solutions and technologies
* Serve as an internal advocate for our customers
* 5+ years of experience in Quality Engineering or Software Engineering
* Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or a related engineering field, or relevant professional experience
* Solid skills and background in Linux (Kernel is plus)
* Solid skills in scripting, e.g. Python, Shell, Bash or C programming, etc
* Experience in software test planning, test cases design, test script automation, and documentation
* Excellent debugging, troubleshooting, and analytical skills
* Ability to identify potential risks connected to test development of assigned feature and mitigate them
* Ability to remain patient and diligent when working on detailed tasks
* Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a global team
* Ability to handle multiple priorities and to work under tight deadlines
* Experience with virtualization, containers, or cgroups is a plus
* Solid written and verbal communication skills in English
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.