Bmo Financial Group
The Senior Project Manager establishes and directs strategic* projects which have been initiated by the Accountable Executive. These include (but are not limited to) launching new products and services, large-scale application development, systems integration, business acquisition and integration, operational efficiency improvements, process reengineering, and infrastructure upgrades and deployment. Such strategic projects are often highly complex and large-scale in nature, spanning multiple functions and/or business groups within Capital Markets. The Senior Project Manager holds the primary project relationship with senior executives from both Capital Markets and T&O (in consultation and partnership with other stakeholders such as relationship managers and portfolio managers), and ensures that a successful business outcome is the prime measure of success.
The Senior Project Manager has breadth and depth of understanding of their line of business and is able to facilitate communication between other stakeholders efficiently and effectively. The Senior Project Manager directs, manages, and coordinates team members (for potentially multiple projects) including other project managers, business and technology resources, user groups, internal and external consultants and contractors, as well as vendors and external regulatory organizations.
* Strategic initiatives are a subset of the Bank's initiatives that may also include strategy development priorities and other foundational work efforts. Strategic Initiatives have significant strategic importance to the Enterprise and are generally material in terms of benefits, costs and / or potential risks.
* Directs large-scale, complex projects often involving multiple internal and external constituents and matrix partners
* Typically exercises direct accountability for projects with up to 50 team members
* Ensures projects are staffed with the right mix of people who exhibit the required perspectives, skills and behaviours.
* Accountable party for defining, planning, orchestrating, and delivering assigned strategic projects, including all business, operational and IT deliverables
* Directly manages all aspects of the project lifecycle and works with matrix business, corporate and IT partners to oversee all phases of the project, and to ensure that related project processes are completed as required (including, as applicable, change management, process management, transition to business/operations, system development, quality management, etc.)
* Within the context of the assigned projects, responsible for building and sustaining the day-to-day relationships and communications (including project briefings) with business partners at various levels of the organization, including EVP, SVP, VP level, as well as other internal and external resources. Sustains and manages the relationship with the Accountable Executive (and Program Manager, where applicable) throughout the duration of the project by providing sound advice, counsel and support
* Ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope and quantifiable business benefit. Ensures there is clear linkage between the business vision/context and the project scope and objectives. Ensures mechanisms to measure benefits are set up in the project
* Provides leadership, motivation, coaching, mentoring and professional development for project teams in order to obtain a high level of co-operation and contribution from all project members
* Chairs regular core team and key governance forums (e.g. Steering Committees, Operating Committees, Decision Forums) to review progress with key constituents. Represents the interests of the project or program in various project governance and inter-department forums
* Provides project change leadership to ensure the vision and objectives of the project/transformation are driven properly, and ensures change management (the mechanisms of change) are in place to deliver the anticipated project benefits
* Ensures project issues and risks are identified, quantified, managed and tracked. Uses past experience to proactively "anticipate" risk and develop appropriate mitigation strategies and plans. Ensures risks, assumptions and constraints are appropriately communicated and escalated when necessary
* Rigorously manages scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed on time, cost, and quality parameters
* Manages and/or validates financial forecasts and provides on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures
* Defines and tracks project milestones while developing, maintaining, and reporting on an overall integrated delivery plan
* Develops or ensures development of project artifacts including charter, integrated plan, resource plan, contingency plan, and related PM artifacts, while complying with applicable enterprise standards (e.g. Project Management, Risk, Audit, Compliance)
* Monitors and controls the project. Proposes recommendations and adjustments to the Accountable Executive and publishes periodic project status reports
* Provides Accountable Executive with continued insight in the viability of the business case (e.g. costs, benefits, KPIs) as the project progresses
* Negotiates complex contracts with external vendors (in consultation with Strategic Sourcing) to ensure receipt of specific resources and materials, as well as best value for the Enterprise. Ensures day-to-day vendor relationship management occurs (including monitoring performance, reviewing and approving vendor invoices)
* Contributes to improve the best practices of the project management community within the Enterprise to help drive consistency, transparency and execution excellence on projects
* Possesses a university degree and/or 10 years relevant work experience
* Possesses advanced knowledge and 7 to 10 years of experience in project and program management, including managing large-scale projects or programs of significant complexity and value (> $5MM) with high risk
* Industry-specific knowledge and experience is an asset
* Holding a valid PMP designation from the Project Management Institute (PMI) is an asset
* Excellent relationship management and consulting skills which results in proven ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders, mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach, resolve conflict, deliver tough messages with grace, execute with limited information and ambiguity
* Expert change leadership and management skills
* Ability to lead teams from various areas (business, technology, operations, etc)
* Expert risk management skills
* Ability to navigate a highly matrixed organization effectively
* Good stakeholder management and influencing skills, effective at the senior executive level
* Sound business and technical acumen, with demonstrated agility in learning and ability to quickly become comfortable with unfamiliar businesses areas or of technologies
* Expert presentation, written and verbal communication skills which bring clarity and precision at executive levels
* Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills to recognize and comprehend complex issues, policies, regulatory requirements and industry information affecting the business environment
* Exemplary core project management skills including multiple aspects of the PMBOK (i.e. Project Management Institute's PM Body Of Knowledge)
* Solid knowledge and expertise in the use of project management methodologies and tools (e.g. Clarity, MS Project, SharePoint repositories, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) if applicable)
* Agile experience (nice to have)
We're here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the center of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmoharriscareers.com.
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
About Bmo Financial Group
Bank of Montreal (BMO Financial Group, BMO) is a diversified financial services provider.