Microsoft's App Center team is looking for a Senior Program Manager to work with us on the next generation of developer services and tools. We believe that application developers, on all existing and emerging platforms, will continue to change the world and we strive to make them more productive by building services they love and rely on for building, improving, and maintaining their apps.
In order to accomplish this, we believe our team must continue to evolve and change. We challenge each other each day to be better individually and as teammates, with the aim of building and shipping a product that improves the lives of our customers. While there are many tools in the toolbox, we are passionate about Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Culture of Experimentation, and Lean Agile as a way of operating. We are extremely supportive of remote work and a remote-first team culture. We strive to live in a world where everyone on the team has an equal voice, is empowered to innovate and can make a big impact.
For this role, we are looking for a program manager interested in helping mobile application developers be more productive creating apps with Visual Studio App Center. We need a talented, multi-disciplinary program manager who's able to combine empathetic customer listening with sharp development and writing skills to help translate our customer's concerns into features and services that put us ahead of the competition. Specifically, you'll focus on privacy and/or security related areas - learning and understanding the specific needs in our space, prioritizing the related features requested by our customers, and driving associated internal reviews. If you are interested in the unique challenges that mobile has to offer and if you would like the chance to innovate, then this position is for you.
The Visual Studio App Center team dedicates itself to building services for the Mobile developer. These services include but are not limited to, build, test, distribute, diagnostics, analytics, and push. We are technically inclined, passionate, and customer obsessed. Learn more here and take us for a spin at AppCenter.ms.
* Knowledge of mobile development (e.g. iOS, Android, Xamarin, React Native)
* Experience in security and/or privacy compliance
* Experience with Azure products
* 3+ years of experience in customer-focused feature design
* 3+ years of technical program management or development experience
* 3+ years collaborating across teams and functional areas
* Record of successfully developing strong relationships and successfully managing complex, cross discipline projects
* A history of relationship-building, process management, measured accountability, project management, collaboration and operational support.
* In depth, working knowledge of lifecycle processes is a must (ITLC, Waterfall, Scrum, Kanban, etc).
* Demonstrated experience successfully influencing technical product design and UX design based on feedback from customers
* Strong technical problem-solving skills
* Great cross-group collaboration skills
* Relentless drive for results
* Excellent written & oral communication skills
* BS or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
* Strong sense of teamwork
Scope/breakdown of position (% of time-primary responsibilities)?
* 30% Product Design (e.g. UX design, requirements, scoping)
* 20% Customer Engagement (e.g. customer interviews, participating in online forums, user research)
* 20% Cross-team collaboration with Azure teams
* 20% Market Research
* 10% Project Management (e.g. documentation, product backlogs, meetings)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
What are the deliverables/objectives for the person taking this job over the next 12 months?
You will make a major impact on the developer experience. You will speak with customers, test hypotheses through experimentation, define product requirements, create prototypes, analyze product usage patterns, and engage with the open-source community throughout the product cycle. During implementation, you will partner with the engineering team to ensure the final product meets developer's needs. You will lead and complete a privacy or SDL review.
* Actively and successfully drive customer adoption, success and deep engagement with developer tools and services.
* Lead thinking about how to grow our businesses.
* Speak with enterprise customers weekly to understand their needs and pain points.
* Craft measurable product hypotheses and test them through experimentation.
* Perform competitive analysis and customer research to better understand how the value props delivered in your feature area compare to the marketplace.
* Act as "Product Owner" for your feature area by establishing a vision, defining measurable goals, and tracking progress through quick iteration.
* Influence management and broad features teams to the benefit of our customers and the business.
* Ensure that the end-to-end experience is being met for your feature area.
* Enable the feature team to iterate quickly by removing obstacles, sharing new information as it becomes available, and engineering consensus among stakeholders.
* Engage with the community to promote Microsoft tools and services through blog posts, social media and public speaking opportunities (e.g. conferences, meetups).
* Consistently takes personal ownership to define and guide the creation of software workflows that customers love and that drive key business goals.
* Contribute to successful partnerships inside the company (e.g. cross-divisional collaboration) to create more compelling developer workflows and outside the company (e.g. other tool makers) to achieve success and scale.
* Empower the engineering team to meet privacy, security, and other compliance objectives by focusing on concomitant industry standards and trends.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.