We're looking for an experienced Product Designer to focus on our native apps serving the fast-growing number of users on mobile devices. You'll collaborate with engineers and designers in our fully remote company to help our customers be more successful online and help make the web a better place.
The mobile design team is a small group of designers who craft user experiences in our mobile apps: WordPress, WooCommerce, and Simplenote. We are in need of another designer to help push that mission forward, elevate the user experience for our customers, and contribute positive energy to an effective mobile design team.
What you'll be doing:
Objective #1: Improve user success and engagement on the mobile WordPress apps, with a particular emphasis on the Android platform.
* UX & UI Design: You'll use your full range of research, mobile product design, interaction design, and visual design skills to move from early exploration and research to tweaking pixels before launch. * Mobile Experience: You have worked on both companion and stand-alone mobile apps. You'll consider the full customer journey and touchpoints, for both mobile-only and cross-device WordPress users. * Research: You've coordinated and conducted user interviews and usability testing on mobile platforms. You'll also partner with researchers, other designers, engineering, marketing, and business partners to define user problems and needs based on this research. * Communicate: You'll effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, and design rationale in written form as well as verbally and visually to gain alignment and move the work forward. * Collaborate: You'll work with developers to oversee and review the building process to ensure a polished experience for our users. * Iterate & Validate: You have a hypothesis-driven process and regularly look to validate your ideas. You will iterate on designs according to research, data analysis, and feedback, validating your work with data and real users. * Android: You'll use your deep knowledge of Google's Material Design Guidelines, and the role they play in native app design, to design consistent experiences for these platforms. You probably use an Android phone as your primary mobile device.
Objective #2: Contribute to the advancement of our design process and practices at Automattic, including the integration and adoption of a new design system (Muriel).
* Grow Our Design Community: You've worked with medium to large design teams on mobile products at scale. You will collaborate with other members of the Automattic design org by giving feedback to continually improve each other's work, and the design process itself. * Evolve Our Design Process: You'll help improve our design system and process by actively connecting with other designers across the company. * Expand Our Mobile Understanding: You'll advocate for the needs of our mobile app users and spread your knowledge of mobile with your colleagues in Automattic Design.
Have you done this before?
Do you have extensive experience designing and improving end-to-end mobile experiences with a cross-functional team?
If you'd like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you'd be a good fit for the role.
- What is the mobile product design accomplishment that you are most proud of?
- Tell us about a time when something came up in research for a mobile project that changed your early thoughts on how to approach the design.
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We're serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
Apply for this Job
Curious who works in design at Automattic? Meet Kelly Hoffman and Mel Choyce!
← Work With Us
Automattic develops publishing platforms, including the WordPress.com website and the VIP WordPress.com cloud version.