EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries-EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems- EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what's possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
Senior Principal Hardware Engineer - SatCom
Hughes Network Systems seeks a well-rounded, senior hardware communications systems engineer to help us develop the next generation of satellite communications systems. The position is located in our Germantown, Maryland office. The successful candidate will enjoy a rich and fulfilling career with a variety of responsibilities ranging across the entire life cycle, including: initial conceptual system design; analysis, simulation, and specification; implementation; integration and test; performance monitoring; and end-of-life transition to the next system. We are looking for someone with broad experience and a willingness to do even more.
* Review internal or external requirements for satellite systems; refine or generate appropriate system-level requirements
* Interact with other teams to invent creative and mutually acceptable system solutions
* Analyze, model, and simulate candidate designs. What is the capacity of a system? How does it deal with congestion? Resistance to interference, noise, and other degradations?
* Write and review specifications, design documents, reports and presentations
* Must be a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) as position requires access to U.S. export restricted materials.
* Master's in Electrical Engineering, Communications Systems Engineering, or allied fields
* 15+ or more years of experience in satellite communications systems, either in ground systems or satellite systems.
* PhD in Electrical Engineering, Communications Systems Engineering, or allied fields
* Understanding of communications theory
* Knowledge of satellite system architectures (GEO, LEO, MEO and others)
* Ability to develop a variety of simulation models of satellite communications systems, including determining system capacity, error rate performance, queuing, traffic management, etc.
* Ability to create and use detailed link budgets
* Excellent communications skills: ability to write technical specifications and reports clearly and concisely; ability to present ideas and results effectively
* Knowledge of hardware and software architectures
* Skill in using a variety of simulation and modeling tools and programming languages
* Familiarity with ITU-R and FCC regulations as they apply to satellites and ground equipment
* Familiarity with DVB-S2 and other wireless standards in the terrestrial and satellite realm
* Awareness of GRASP and antenna performance parameters
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.
EchoStar is a provider of broadband satellite technologies and broadband Internet services.