About the Job
Are you interested in applying your technical skills to advance the Internet's ability to deliver an evolving landscape of applications and services? Network Control at Akamai oversees Akamai's proprietary mapping control system that determines how end-users transact with Akamai's platform and ultimately directs how Akamai's services are delivered over the Internet. In this role, you will draw upon your optimization background to help determine how we manage capacity to deliver our services. You will draw upon your computing and coding skills to enhance the systems that we use to manage the mapping control system. You will apply your analytical skills to make sense of data that can be distilled to determine quality. You will learn about the complex control system that operates in real time and manage it to optimize the experience of Internet end-users around the globe. And finally, you will work with a variety of teams around the business to help set and deliver performance expectations.
About the Team
The Network Control Team is an elite group of technical contributors. The team has individuals with strengths in optimization, network analysis, computing, statistics, data science, big data analysis methodologies, and distributed systems. They are individuals who enjoy taking a holistic view of complex systems. The team tends to tackle difficult problems that go beyond having simple answers. This is precisely what makes the job fun and rewarding to anyone seeking a challenge.
Team members contribute to the following specific areas:
* Build software systems and automations to establish proper mapping control policies that support our customers and products.
* Build and adapt capacity allocation optimization models, and implement methods to solve models using formal mathematical programming tools and heuristic strategies
* Analysis tasks related to diagnosing mapping control system behaviors in response to escalations
* Mine data to evaluate and track mapping quality, establish monitoring and automate the anomaly detection and response process.
* Work closely with the business units to define product and customer quality of service requirements and use the requirements to drive how we allocate network capacity.
* Work closely with Engineering teams, specifically with those that design and implement the mapping/control systems and server software that are the heart of Akamai's technology, in order to help guide adoption of new features and determine where to make new technology investments.
Required Education and Experience
* 3 years of relevant experience and a Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline.
* PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, Statistics or a related quantitative discipline and relevant experience.
* 2 years experience with statistics and data analysis
* 2 years algorithmic design and coding or scripting experience (Python, perl, R, etc.)
* 2 years experience working in a UNIX/Linux computing environment (basic shell, OS concepts, SQL, etc.)
* Experience with big data techniques and frameworks (Hadoop, Hive, Sparks etc.)
* Experience with internetworking technology concepts, networking protocols, and large scale distributed systems
* Experience with optimization models (linear, non-linear, mixed integer programming) models and optimization tools (AMPL, CPlex, Gurobi, etc.)
* Experience analyzing complex systems
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.