Are you curious, motivated, and forward-thinking? At FIS you'll have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and relevant issues in financial services and technology. Our talented people empower us, and we believe in being part of a team that is open, collaborative, entrepreneurial, passionate and above all fun.
About the team
FIS' Fox River Execution Solutions (Fox River) provides trading technology that helps improve execution quality, minimize information leakage and decrease overall execution costs. As a provider of high-performing algorithms, Fox River has no bias toward execution venues and offers Trader Logic Technology, algorithms that blend the human logic of a professional trader with precise mathematical formulas.
What you will be doing:
Provide database support services for regulated broker dealer operating as an algorithmic order execution firm. May require knowledge of multiple database management systems on one or more operating systems. Primary duties include database software installation, upgrade/patching, infrastructure management and creation and support of application databases.
* Meets commitments and provides excellent customer service at all times with internal and external clients.
* Provides status reports (written and/or verbal) that are detailed to tasks and difficulties encountered - enables managers to initiate escalation if necessary and assess areas where changes or additional support may be warranted.
* Assists application groups with design development that meet current and future business requirements:
* Participates in logical design process of strategic projects and responsible for the physical design/implementation.
* Provides specific direction on infrastructure design to support applications.
* Participates as a member of development support team on projects.
* Follows and meets project timelines and deadlines.
* Provides maintenance of physical database:
* Creates physical database objectives following established standards and processes employed by database team.
* Enforces database standards and follows up on inconsistencies.
* Performs routine reviews of databases and systems to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
* Reports problem performance areas and recommendations for improvement.
* Follows up on recommendations and actively pushes for implementation as appropriate.
* Understands and applies database concepts such as database definitions, parameters, database component placement, reorganization, access methods and security definitions.
* Works with capacity planning, operations, application developers and other brokerage teams on database performance and access issues.
* As primary administrator, provides on call support as needed for on-call issues with database environments and provides follow up and permanent resolution for reoccurring issues.
* Implements backup/recovery procedures to protect integrity of data in database environment.
* Actively manages backups along with other database administrators to ensure processes are successful and we can recover as a result.
* If necessary, participates in recovery of databases and assists with disaster recovery testing and documentation.
What you bring:
* Experience in project management methodologies is desired including ability to estimate, plan, manage and communicate activities/deliverables of a mid-size project plan, i.e., a plan that affects a single system or product family and uses multiple resources
* Working knowledge of at least one database management system or a proven ability to learn new technologies and use that knowledge effectively
* Solid understanding of underlying database technology and functionality.
* Effective communication and team skills with an ability to cooperate, present to and participate with peers/team members
* Advanced knowledge of operating systems and systems administration concepts
* Personal commitment to stay current with latest technology concepts
* Good problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills
* Identifies and resolves less clearly defined problems using established procedures and/or protocols as guidelines.
* Financial industry experience particularly related to equity trading a plus.
* Knowledge of scripting language (Perl, Python) needed.
What we offer you:
* A fantastic range of benefits designed to help support your lifestyle and wellbeing
* A multifaceted job with a high degree of responsibility and a broad spectrum of opportunities
* A work environment built on collaboration, flexibility and respect
* Varied and challenging work to help you grow your technical skillset