Job Summary and Mission
The ERP Development Team seeks a Senior Application Developer to help drive our Oracle Value Chain Planning (VCP / ASCP) space forward in our Oracle E-Business Suite implementations. Given Starbucks' multifaceted growth and complex distribution network, this position will be exposed to intricate, evolving models and scaling challenges, necessitating a deep understanding of the EBS technology stack pertaining to VCP, Forecasting, Planning, Demand Management modules. In addition to the E-Business Suite domain, the enterprise is embarking on a journey into SOA services, and experience and understanding of java EE, web services and the SOA Suite are important. This role is a software development role with leadership components.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Technical Design and Implementation
* Collaborates in planning, decomposing, estimating, scheduling, prioritization and resource allocation exercises. Mitigates risk with prototypes for complex problems as appropriate. Build incrementally, with an eye toward vision of the final product. Provides transparency in approach and progress, throughout the process.
* Participates in the solution design process: requirements gathering and backlog refinement, shapes and guides systems approach, helps with project initiation, contributes to functional design, and leads technical design and development.
* Develops software solutions to business problems. Leverages established design patterns and coding standards. Builds solutions that are secure, durable, scalable, flexible, and accessible and proactively mitigate against production support issues.
* Automates test coverage per platform capabilities and requirements. Establishes and maintains continuous build and integration testing on applicable platforms and assists with manual system and integration testing efforts.
* Key contributor and driver in the deployment approach, including planning and execution, data conversion approach, script development and execution, warranty period and transition of the solution to the platform's operational context.
* Operates in both waterfall and Agile Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) processes and methodologies.
* Proactively participates in helping shape candidate solutions on the platform. This consultative part of the role explores the business capability portfolio to guide and direct solution options to ensure health of the platform.
* Plays a creative role in the Platform Stewardship portfolio. Contributes to the vision, roadmap, and platform investments needed to take our business solutions to the next level. Identifies, influences, sells and prioritizes innovative platform opportunities, as well as technical debt, with regular reviews, creating programs and solutions to raise the level of the platform offering or remediate systemic operational problems.
* Partners with cross functional teams, such as Infrastructure, Security, Architecture, QA and key Development teams, to strengthen and elevate the platform from a technology perspective. Successfully drives designs and solutions through enterprise processes and governance to ensure compliant, secure and supportable solutions.
* Deepens vendor relationships to understand and influence vendor product offerings and roadmaps, improves support engagement and gains insight into technology trends.
* Contributes to the platform development community by providing input, content and feedback on design patterns, coding standards, and shared libraries.
* Provides project leadership; initiates, organizes and champions small to medium development efforts for a team of developers over a shared code base.
* Supervises delivery of other developers on the team by setting priority and guiding deliverables.
* Keeps projects on course by coordinating activities, monitoring project schedules and costs.
* Represents the Development Team when engaged with cross functional teams, including functional analysts, Project Management, Development, Architecture, Infrastructure and the business customer.
* Negotiates, facilitates, and influences others to gain alignment and mutually agreeable outcomes in complex and ambiguous situations. Socializes technical approach and design to project team and corresponding dependent teams.
* Takes on leadership opportunities within the development team. Initiates and facilitates team meetings to socialize technical ideas, encourages a culture of technical excellence among peers, and identifies good opportunities for adopting innovation.
* Coaches and mentors other application developers learning new skills and technologies.
* Exhibits leadership courage with respectful, articulate positions to influence critical technology solutions.
Business Capability Portfolio
* Consults in the IT planning process by providing application and platform expertise for new business capabilities under consideration.
* Tracks and communicates planned and in-flight business capability efforts, contributes and influences approach, scoping exercises and resource estimation.
* For a small to medium area of the business capability portfolio, rationalizes, designs and oversees solution changes in the sustainment process.
Production Support for application and platform components
* Fulfills responsibilities for on call support, including potential coverage of pager rotation.
* Collaboratively and effectively diagnoses, troubleshoots and remediates incidents and problems to support the end user community. Initiates and leads root cause analysis efforts to identify and implement solutions to operational issues.
* Creates, maintains and reports operational Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) on items such as performance, service incidents and tickets set forth by the organization leadership. Identifies systemic problems that need holistic solutions and feedback into platform roadmap exercises.
* Creates and maintains documentation supporting training, system administration, deployment, and operational processes and procedures.
* 8 years of Application Development experience, exposed to all phases of development - from design through production support.
* 6 years of Oracle E-Business Suite Application Development/Implementation experience, which include being the authoritative author for multiple key integrations, customizations and extensions.
* 5 year of experience working in Oracle Planning modules, including ASCP, DRP modules is a must. The Starbucks VCP implementation has extensive and complex functionality and experience with Data Collections, Exposure to Materialized Views is a must.
* 5 year of experience working in Oracle Financials modules, including OM, INV, AR, Pricing, and Tax modules is preferred.
* 3 years of experience with Java developing services and distributed solutions is preferred. Experience with open source technologies and standards are a plus. This entails J2EE-compliant solutions on Java application services, example technologies & standards include RESTful or SOAP web services, TomEE/Tomcat 7 , REST, Apache CXF, and Spring.
* Any working experience in integration technologies like Apache NiFi Middleware will be a big plus.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or MIS preferred, or equivalent work experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of data structures, algorithms and computer science concepts relative to the platform.
* Mastery of relevant development languages, tools, frameworks, utilities and technical dependencies.
* Understanding of implications from design and implementation choices toward building secure, scalable, durable, flexible, accessible solutions.
* Aptitude to pick up new technologies and trends, as they become relevant for the business and our platforms. Examples include IoT, Big Data, REST Services, mobile, and incorporating cloud components.
* Ability to write and value high quality, reusable software with minimal defects.
* Ability to learn and incorporate new technologies, concepts and development languages.
* Thorough understanding of data transport mechanisms and integrations including synchronous, asynchronous, bulk data, tightly and loosely coupled methods.
* Working understanding of application architecture, infrastructure and security concepts and technical implementation.
* Ability to analyze, diagnose and propose solutions to user problems.
* Ability to understand and escalate technical challenges with options and recommendations.
* Thorough understanding of relevant platform and applications, including established API's, system activity components, process flows, the underlying data model, implementation specifics of important business rules, batch jobs, user interface components, and application configuration.
* Experience in designing and developing relevant enhancements on top of industry COTS (Commercial Of The Shelf) applications that differentiate and/or provide competitive advantage.
* Knowledge of business context and trends, as well as the business customers' opportunities. Awareness of the functional aspects of the solution.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
Starbucks is a chain of restaurants that retails handcrafted coffee, tea, and fresh food items.