What you'll be doing...
You will be defining, leading and contributing to the open source and industry engagement strategy of the Network Systems portfolio that develops the software capabilities automating Verizon's wireline and wireless nationwide networks for large business programs such as: Intelligent Edge Network, Fiber Deployments, 5G.
In this role, you will translate the business priorities of the Network Systems organization into solid engagements with Open Source initiatives and traditional Standard Development Organizations, partnering with dev teams and network planning, engineering and operations teams.
Via your participation in industry forums, you will establish connections with industry partners, including startups and established players. You will also focus on transforming our industry contributions towards shorter incremental cycles to develop standards and open source approach where applicable.
In addition to immediate business priorities, you will focus on emerging technologies and new trends applied to the OSS/Network Systems space, such as: AI/ML, containerization, convergence IT and network software stacks, software-defined networking, network virtualization and orchestration, Multi-service Edge Compute, standard abstractions, APIs and data models, YANG modeling, etc.
You are an energetic self-starter with strong connections with the industry - both traditional SDOs and SW open source forums. You demonstrate significant leadership skills to engage cross-functionally with the subject matter experts on key domains such as: network infrastructure planning and engineering on access, transport and core networks, provisioning, service assurance, network virtualization, Cloud migrations. You leverage your superb communication skills to drive alignment and ensure that the strategy is understood by all partners within Verizon and outside.
* Be a lead contributor in at least one emerging technologies area, with a leadership role in some key forums
* Organize regular events such as Hackathons and technology readouts to socialize the industry engagements and encourage participation from relevant partners
* Provide a feedback loop on the industry trends and articulate the impact to Verizon and action plans to put in place
* Assess industry capabilities and startups to partner with, connected with the business pain points and priorities. Drive RFI / RFPs as needed against industry standards and vendors capabilities.
* Promote transformation towards shorter incremental cycles to develop standards and open source approach where applicable
* Provide portfolio-level leadership in delivering architecture artifacts that promote reusability, modularity and scalability across the OSS layer for various lines of businesses
* Develop and communicate OSS portfolio strategy that increases enterprise agility, business and operational efficiency system and process efficiencies and maximizes ROI on our network assets. You will exercise considerable judgment, trade-offs evaluation and risk mitigation planning during to define the appropriate actionable architecture and plans.
* Track industry trends and leverages them to drive innovation and solution excellence across various functional domains within the OSS space. You will be supporting activities, including research and prototyping, understanding applicability and scope, and assessing the maturity of innovative new technologies.
* Drive Proof-of-Concepts and implementation, with hands-on involvement for emerging technologies, lead as needed industry demos, participate in panels, etc.
* Represent Verizon externally in conferences/summits, build partnership with startups and other external companies to understand tool offerings and how we can integrate and benefits to Verizon.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Six or more years of relevant work experience.
* Experience in a capacity of systems/solution architecture role.
* Experience in a systems architect role with company-wide program(s).
Even better if you have:
* Master's degree.
* Eight or more years of experience in the Telecommunications or Tech industry.
* Experience in driving new infrastructure technologies from proof-of-concepts to full production implementation.
* Experience in network Standard Development or software networking open source efforts.
* Leadership role in standard organizations such as: MEF, TMF, IETF, Linux Foundation, BBF, 3GPP, Cloud telco organizations.
* Experience with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
* Experience leading software developers/architects, systems or process analysts.
* Experience in articulating the business drives and architectural approach/trade-offs during discussions for solution buy-in at various levels and gain consensus.
* Experience on network principles in multiple areas: wireless networks, RF transmission techniques, optical transmission, IP routing and protocols, PON and wireline access technologies, etc., successful recent experience in engineering/operations in large network deployments, SME knowledge in one or multiple network domains.
* Excellent communication (verbal and writing), influencing and negotiation skills. Ability to facilitate group meetings/discussions.
* Ability to break down complex topics into simple to digest information and data points, adjusted to audiences at various levels.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.